• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

The meat and fruit diet: Does it work?

Story by Ruchika M

Have you ever heard of the meat and fruit diet? It's a fascinating and trendy way of eating that has been gaining popularity among health enthusiasts.

If you're curious about this unique approach to nutrition, you've come to the right place. In this article, let's delve into what the diet is all about, explore its potential benefits and discover why it's making waves in the health and wellness community.

What is a meat and fruit diet called?

WhatIsThisDietCalled.jpeg
What is this diet? (Image via Freepik/Karlyukav)© Provided by Sportskeeda Health and Fitness

You might be wondering, what exactly is the official name for the meat and fruit diet? Well, it goes by several names, including "Carnivore Diet," "Fruitarian Diet" or even "Paleolithic Diet."

Each variation has its own twist on the concept, but the common denominator is that they primarily revolve around consuming a combination of meat and fruit.

Basics of the meat and fruit diet

FruitSurplus.jpeg
Fruit surplus (Image via Freepik)© Provided by Sportskeeda Health and Fitness

So, what does the diet entail? Let's break it down:

Emphasis on animal-based foods: As the name suggests, this diet puts a strong emphasis on animal-based foods like meat, poultry and fish. The goal is to obtain essential nutrients from these animal sources.

Fruits as the primary carb source: Instead of relying on grains and other carbohydrates, the diet centers around fruits as the primary source of carbs. This approach provides natural sugars and essential vitamins.

Minimal to no plant-based foods: Unlike other diets that incorporate a wide variety of plant-based foods, the diet typically avoids or limits vegetables, grains and legumes.

Benefits of the meat and fruit diet

healthBenefits.jpeg
Health benefits (Image via Freepik/Jcomp)© Provided by Sportskeeda Health and Fitness

Proponents of the diet claim a range of benefits that have captivated the attention of health-conscious individuals. Some of these potential benefits include:

Simplified eating: For those who find complex meal planning overwhelming, the diet offers a straightforward approach to eating.

High in nutrients: Meats provide essential proteins, fats and micronutrients, while fruits offer vitamins and antioxidants, creating a balanced nutrient profile.

Gut health: Some followers of the diet report improvements in gut health, possibly due to the reduced consumption of certain plant compounds.

Weight management: By eliminating processed foods and refined sugars, the diet may support weight management goals.

Energy and mental clarity: Advocates claim increased energy levels and mental clarity on this diet, attributing it to stable blood sugar levels and nutrient-rich foods.

Meat and fruit diet success claims

weightLossClaims.jpeg
Weight loss claims (Image via Freepik)© Provided by Sportskeeda Health and Fitness

Curious about results with the diet? Many individuals have shared their success stories online. From improved energy levels to better digestion, here are some common themes among those who have tried this eating approach:

Weight loss: Some people have reported significant weight loss, which they attribute to cutting out processed foods and adopting a more whole-food-based diet.

Increased vitality: Followers of the diet often talk about increased vitality, feeling more energized throughout the day.

Better digestion: Several individuals have shared how this diet has improved their digestion and relieved gastrointestinal discomfort.

Mental clarity: Many advocates mention experiencing better mental focus and clarity since adopting the diet.

Is the meat and fruit diet right for you?

WhatsBestForYou.jpeg
Choose whats best for you (Image via Freepik/Wayhomestudio)© Provided by Sportskeeda Health and Fitness

As with any diet, the meat and fruit approach might not be suitable for everyone. It's crucial to consider your individual health needs, preferences and any existing medical conditions before making significant changes to your eating habits.

Consulting with a healthcare professional or a registered dietician is always a wise step before embarking on a new dietary journey.

The diet is just one example of the diverse eating patterns that people follow. Each individual's body is unique, so what works for one person might not be the best fit for another.

The key to a healthy lifestyle is to find an eating style that nourishes the body, supports well-being and brings joy.

ARTICLE SOURCE: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/the-meat-and-fruit-diet-does-it-work/ar-AA1evEfx

*SIGH*

These type of diets just slay me. Eating fruit is not carnivore…period. Anything that knocks you out of ketosis is not carnivore.
If someone wants to eat fruit that’s fine but don’t call it carnivore. I can’t see where boosting your glycemic index by ingesting fructose is healthy. To each their own I suppose.
For me I have no reason whatsoever to eat anything that doesn’t provide optimal nutrition for my body and fruit does not fit that bill.
I think articles like this just help people to justify in their minds to go ahead and eat something sweet.
Eating for pleasure and not nutrition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it would be a alternative to carnivore and keto, a good one at that. A low carb, anti-inflammatory diet, if you will. But as a keto diet it would be very challenging, also with regards to insulin response, it would not be ideal. Again, it depends on what your goals are. It's much like going to the gym. Know why before you do. 

9 hours ago, Geezy said:

*SIGH* emoji19.png

These type of diets just slay me. Eating fruit is not carnivore…period. Anything that knocks you out of ketosis is not carnivore.
If someone wants to eat fruit that’s fine but don’t call it carnivore. I can’t see where boosting your glycemic index by ingesting fructose is healthy. To each their own I suppose.
For me I have no reason whatsoever to eat anything that doesn’t provide optimal nutrition for my body and fruit does not fit that bill.
I think articles like this just help people to justify in their minds to go ahead and eat something sweet.
Eating for pleasure and not nutrition.

Yes, for some it may be a slippery slope. Before you know it, the strawberries will be chocolate covered... 

I did find it funny that the article referred to one of the names of this way of eating as a "carnivore diet", but I do get it. Animal-based diets that allow for fruit is kind of an off-shoot of the carnivore diet. I shared the article because we do support our Animal-based friends here and the article was fairly positive. 

Depending on your metabolic health and personal physiology, some people can tolerate a little fruit and even benefit from it, while others need to avoid it altogether.

Yes, for some it may be a slippery slope. Before you know it, the strawberries will be chocolate covered... 

And that’s exactly what started my downfall on Adkins. It just started snowballing on me until I gave up.

I did find it funny that the article referred to one of the names of this way of eating as a "carnivore diet", but I do get it. Animal-based diets that allow for fruit is kind of an off-shoot of the carnivore diet. I shared the article because we do support our Animal-based friends here and the article was fairly positive. 
Depending on your metabolic health and personal physiology, some people can tolerate a little fruit and even benefit from it, while others need to avoid it altogether.

Yeah I can understand that but in my opinion one shouldn’t try introducing that kind of stuff into their diet until they are in a maintenance stage. Otherwise it can sabotage the weak ones.

On 3/20/2024 at 9:22 PM, Geezy said:

Yeah I can understand that but in my opinion one shouldn’t try introducing that kind of stuff into their diet until they are in a maintenance stage. Otherwise it can sabotage the weak ones.

You're absolutely right.

Generally, I just love to see anyone get off the SAD diet. Animal-based can be a good start for some people, especially currently healthy ones. But those of us with weight issues, chronic disease, and sugar & food addiction need to start off more strict, because the natural sugars in fruit is going to be a trigger that sends you spiraling for cakes, cookies, and pies. 

4. Low-carb animal-based (carnivore-based), allows some fruit - stay under 100 carbs.
3. Meat-based keto, no fruit, occasional berries - stay under 25 carbs.
2. Ketovore - very little vegetation - stay under 10 carbs.
1. True carnivore - zero plant matter - carbs will vary but close to zero.

Some animal-based influencers are advocating 300-400 carbs a day, but that equals 1200-1600 calories per day coming from carbs/fructose. I personally don't see how you can call that "animal-based" when the majority of your calories are not coming from animals, lol.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2024 at 10:00 AM, Bob said:

The meat and fruit diet: Does it work?

Story by Ruchika M

Have you ever heard of the meat and fruit diet? It's a fascinating and trendy way of eating that has been gaining popularity among health enthusiasts.

If you're curious about this unique approach to nutrition, you've come to the right place. In this article, let's delve into what the diet is all about, explore its potential benefits and discover why it's making waves in the health and wellness community.

What is a meat and fruit diet called?

WhatIsThisDietCalled.jpeg
What is this diet? (Image via Freepik/Karlyukav)© Provided by Sportskeeda Health and Fitness

You might be wondering, what exactly is the official name for the meat and fruit diet? Well, it goes by several names, including "Carnivore Diet," "Fruitarian Diet" or even "Paleolithic Diet."

Each variation has its own twist on the concept, but the common denominator is that they primarily revolve around consuming a combination of meat and fruit.

Basics of the meat and fruit diet

FruitSurplus.jpeg
Fruit surplus (Image via Freepik)© Provided by Sportskeeda Health and Fitness

So, what does the diet entail? Let's break it down:

Emphasis on animal-based foods: As the name suggests, this diet puts a strong emphasis on animal-based foods like meat, poultry and fish. The goal is to obtain essential nutrients from these animal sources.

Fruits as the primary carb source: Instead of relying on grains and other carbohydrates, the diet centers around fruits as the primary source of carbs. This approach provides natural sugars and essential vitamins.

Minimal to no plant-based foods: Unlike other diets that incorporate a wide variety of plant-based foods, the diet typically avoids or limits vegetables, grains and legumes.

Benefits of the meat and fruit diet

healthBenefits.jpeg
Health benefits (Image via Freepik/Jcomp)© Provided by Sportskeeda Health and Fitness

Proponents of the diet claim a range of benefits that have captivated the attention of health-conscious individuals. Some of these potential benefits include:

Simplified eating: For those who find complex meal planning overwhelming, the diet offers a straightforward approach to eating.

High in nutrients: Meats provide essential proteins, fats and micronutrients, while fruits offer vitamins and antioxidants, creating a balanced nutrient profile.

Gut health: Some followers of the diet report improvements in gut health, possibly due to the reduced consumption of certain plant compounds.

Weight management: By eliminating processed foods and refined sugars, the diet may support weight management goals.

Energy and mental clarity: Advocates claim increased energy levels and mental clarity on this diet, attributing it to stable blood sugar levels and nutrient-rich foods.

Meat and fruit diet success claims

weightLossClaims.jpeg
Weight loss claims (Image via Freepik)© Provided by Sportskeeda Health and Fitness

Curious about results with the diet? Many individuals have shared their success stories online. From improved energy levels to better digestion, here are some common themes among those who have tried this eating approach:

Weight loss: Some people have reported significant weight loss, which they attribute to cutting out processed foods and adopting a more whole-food-based diet.

Increased vitality: Followers of the diet often talk about increased vitality, feeling more energized throughout the day.

Better digestion: Several individuals have shared how this diet has improved their digestion and relieved gastrointestinal discomfort.

Mental clarity: Many advocates mention experiencing better mental focus and clarity since adopting the diet.

Is the meat and fruit diet right for you?

WhatsBestForYou.jpeg
Choose whats best for you (Image via Freepik/Wayhomestudio)© Provided by Sportskeeda Health and Fitness

As with any diet, the meat and fruit approach might not be suitable for everyone. It's crucial to consider your individual health needs, preferences and any existing medical conditions before making significant changes to your eating habits.

Consulting with a healthcare professional or a registered dietician is always a wise step before embarking on a new dietary journey.

The diet is just one example of the diverse eating patterns that people follow. Each individual's body is unique, so what works for one person might not be the best fit for another.

The key to a healthy lifestyle is to find an eating style that nourishes the body, supports well-being and brings joy.

ARTICLE SOURCE: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/the-meat-and-fruit-diet-does-it-work/ar-AA1evEfx

It makes more sense when you are healthy and active. Most people are sedentary and will likely gain body fat. However, if you go to the gym and move, you can get better results. There are many people who have benefited from eating fruit or some type of carbohydrate. People here look at carbohydrates as if they were the devil... It doesn't make sense for me to look at Diet as if it were a religion or a macronutrient with moral judgment... This is the Bullshit Vegans do!

On 4/18/2024 at 10:46 PM, Andre said:
There are many people who have benefited from eating fruit or some type of carbohydrate.

Do they actually benefit from them or are they just better adapted and tolerant of them because of their metabolism? We are all different and must adjust our diets to what works best for us as individuals.
Dr. Saladino does great on fruit and honey. It would destroy me and all I’ve accomplished.

People here look at carbohydrates as if they were the devil... It doesn't make sense for me to look at Diet as if it were a religion or a macronutrient with moral judgment... This is the Bullshit Vegans do!

Actually I haven’t witnessed anything like that in all of the carnivore and keto communities I’m associated with. We look at carbohydrates as being totally unnecessary, which they are because they are not essential to human life. Furthermore, being a carnivore is not a religion, it’s a lifestyle, a way of being, it’s just what we are. We don’t worship it we just live it.

Edited by Bob
Separated quote from comment

There are many people who have benefited from eating fruit or some type of carbohydrate.

This is true. Paul Saladino struggled with strict carnivore, and benefited from adding fruit into his diet. But he is super-athletic, surfing, skating, working out, etc. Most of us don't have that level of activity. He also does not have an obesity or metabolic issues. His "why" for exploring a carnivore diet was for the sole purpose of trying to find the root cause of his eczema or psoriasis or something. Plant toxins was the culprit, which is why he avoids leaves, stems, roots, and seeds. Fruit and honey are benign (unless you have metabolic issues). It works for him and that is great. 

Lille Kane has also added fruit to her diet, but not to the excess that Paul has. If you follow her, she is also active, hits the gym, etc. She is mostly carnivore and a little pre-workout fruit helps her strength and stamina at the gym - which is a no-brainer.

That people benefit is exactly why I shared the article.

People here look at carbohydrates as if they were the devil.

No, I don't think this is the case here. Maybe on Reddit or other Carnivore groups on social media. I am pretty clear that I advocate a carnivore-centric meat-based diet consisting of foods that you can eat naturally without processing, pulverizing, or dying from ingesting it. If you can hunt it, milk it, or pluck it from the branch or vine, it's probably fair game, depending on your personal physiology and what your personal goals are.