• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

what am i doing wrong??

I STARTED THE CARNIVORE DIET 1 WEEK AND 1 DAY AGO TODAY.   I GAVE UP 8+ LIGHT BEERS DAILY, NO "SAUCES", NO CHIPS, BREAD, PASTAS, VEGGIES, ETC.   ONLY MEAT, EGGS AND A LITTLE CHEESE.  I HAVE HAD ABOUT 5 DRINKS OF VODKA, WATER AND SUGAR FREE FLAVOR PACKETS, BUT HAVE NOT LOST 1 POUND.   I HAVE NEVER BEEN BIG ON EXERCISE, AND MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN DOING IT FOR A MONTH NOW AND HAS LOST 17 POUNDS.   SHOULDN'T I HAVE LOST SOMETHING WITH ALL MY "GOOD STUFF" GONE?   PLEASE ANY ADVISE 

Edited by tam

2 hours ago, tam said:

AND A LITTLE CHEESE

Cheese is not usually a problem, especially if it's a little. But sometimes what we think is a little is actually a little more than we think. Check to make sure it's straight up fat and protein with zero/trace carbs in it. 

I've also heard a ton of testimony from several individuals that report that cheese tends to stall them, and when they eliminate it they see better results. I know that's a drag but it might be worth cutting out for a couple weeks just to see if it makes a difference. You can always add it back at your leisure. But one of the intents of the carnivore diet is to be an elimination diet so you can try to learn and isolate what your body does or doesn't get along with. 

2 hours ago, tam said:

I HAVE HAD ABOUT 5 DRINKS OF VODKA

So this will stop you from burning any other fuel source, whether that's glucose/carbs/sugar OR fat/ketones until it gets metabolized. How long that takes depends on how much you are drinking.

2 hours ago, tam said:

AND SUGAR FREE FLAVOR PACKETS

This is another thing that usually isn't a problem, and in our minds we think isn't a problem, but sometimes can still be a problem. Some of the artificial sweeteners are still cut with sugar, but if it's less than 0.5g they can round that down to zero on the label legally. Some people still experience a cephalic phase insulin response when tasting the sweetness of artificial sweeteners - that is, just the taste of something sweet causes the pancreas to squirt out some insulin in anticipation of carbs coming down the gullet. If you are one who's body does this and you are sipping them all day long, then you have a constant insulin response going on, and this will work against your fat loss efforts.

Besides those small observations here is something else to consider: How often are you eating? Do you snack between meals? Even when you are eating carnivore, anytime you eat something, there will be either a glucose or insulin response. I can eat strict carnivore, but if I am nibbling on beef jerky, pork rinds, cheese, or leftovers every hour or two throughout the day, I will be up on the scale the next day. Ideally, you want to have a satisfying meal, and then give your body a break until the next meal, whether that's 1, 2, or 3 meals a day.

Women do tend to lose it slower than men. Sometimes there are other issues at play that you can get bloodwork done for, such as testing your thyroid function or your sex hormone levels. Some people need medication/supplementation/therapy to address these issues, and then the weight starts coming off easier.

Hope this helps! And welcome aboard!

Bob pretty much nailed it all but I will add that you haven’t been on carnivore long enough to see much if any difference.

Carnivore is not a magic bullet. Carnivore is not a diet. Carnivore is a way of eating which enables your body to undo years of metabolic damage, abuse from calorie restricted diets, and metabolic disregulation. Carnivore is primarily about health and healing.
Yes- it is true that the weight will come off. But! It will do it when it wants to. For some people it happens fast, for others slow because we are all different.
Some women, as Bob said, will loose slower than men. Look at Kelly Hogan, she took 6 months before she saw any weight loss but she did see metabolic healing in that time.
So relax. Give it time and just eat right. Eat only when you are truly hungry then eat fatty meat until it doesn’t taste good anymore. Use plenty of salt and maybe take an electrolyte supplement and drink water.
Avoid anything that’s sweet. Avoid all seeds, grains and seed oils. Eliminate all vegetables and preferably spices in the beginning.
But most of all, be patient. None of this happens overnight. As I said earlier, this is not a diet, it’s a way of life that you should commit to for life, for health.
KCCO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to 2nd the idea of getting rid of the sweet. If you are drinking it in-between meals it is triggering cephalic phases insulin response (Cpir). So it's going to mess with satiety hormones as well as keep your insulin elevated making weight loss a struggle. I would also encourage you to define your "why" for eating this way beyond just weight loss. Otherwise it will be hard to stick to it after you lose the weight. 

Thank you everyone- I eat usually 2 times a day with mostly water and maybe 2 flavor packets all day - liquid IV sugar free etc, and even tho it’s Vodka - I’m not a liquor drinker so in 32 oz cup of water it’s maybe a “shot” of vodka, and that’s not every day.   My husband swears one day it’s the flavor pkts, 1 day the vodka, 1 day the cheese stick I ate, basically anything to make me feel better, he also sees my frustration and he doesn’t understand either since his first week he lost 4 pounds.  I just tell him it’s because he has more to loose lol.  But I appreciate all of y’all’s help.  I’m gonna stick to it and see where this journey takes me!    Wish me luck!