• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

An Observation about my recent bloodwork on cholesterol.

An observation I made while going over the results of my most recent bloodwork results was that of the LDLc recommendation.

The first time a statin was ever mentioned to me was probably back in the early to mid 90’s. The doctor at that time suggested I get on a statin because my LDLc was as he put it, “ borderline high” at 200.

So in this latest test my LDLc was 195 and my present doc is saying it’s extremely high. Then I noticed the average that they recommend now is 130. Good Grief!

In another five years it’ll probably be down to 100.

Well I refused the statin back then and I’m still refusing it. I’m just fine with it being what “they” consider high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they lowered the "normal" range for blood pressure as well. It's all nonsense. 

You are absolutely right about that. The more they fail in their present theories the more the move the goalposts in the wrong direction. Just another example of treating the symptoms rather than the disease.
I’m going to post and article explaining this very thing shortly.

11 hours ago, LesW said:

I think they lowered the "normal" range for blood pressure as well. It's all nonsense. 

really, I always thought blood pressure was like body temperature, like humans don't get to determine what normal is the way they do with cholesterol. 

really, I always thought blood pressure was like body temperature, like humans don't get to determine what normal is the way they do with cholesterol. 

I was told several years ago that they now prefer that you get it as low as you can without passing out.
Sounds silly doesn’t it but that is exactly what I was told. And the wonder why I don’t trust them.

It’s no different than the cholesterol fable they use to get you on a statin and increase their profits. They see a market to get everyone on a blood pressure medicine for more profits.

The reason the medical profession worries so much about your LDL level is that studies have shown a very strong correlation between lowering your cholesterol by taking a statin and the annual pay bonuses of pharmaceutical company executives.
And now that can apply to BP meds.

4 hours ago, Geezy said:

It’s no different than the cholesterol fable they use to get you on a statin and increase their profits. They see a market to get everyone on a blood pressure medicine for more profits.

The reason the medical profession worries so much about your LDL level is that studies have shown a very strong correlation between lowering your cholesterol by taking a statin and the annual pay bonuses of pharmaceutical company executives.
And now that can apply to BP meds.

Facts. That is really discouraging about wanting low blood pressure. It's called a  vital sign for a reason. Frankly mine has been drifting lower over the years as well as my temperature and I am concerned about my thyroid. So far my chart says "subclinical" hypothyroid. The days are gone when doctors were like detectives, studying clues putting the pieces together for our benefit. So sad.

Facts. That is really discouraging about wanting low blood pressure. It's called a  vital sign for a reason. Frankly mine has been drifting lower over the years as well as my temperature and I am concerned about my thyroid. So far my chart says "subclinical" hypothyroid. The days are gone when doctors were like detectives, studying clues putting the pieces together for our benefit. So sad.

Might be time for a thyroid panel.

2 hours ago, Geezy said:

Might be time for a thyroid panel.

I have had basic, but know better what to ask for next time. I have also just considered just getting them myself thru a website. 

From my understanding a good thyroid panel would include TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone)
T4, Free, T3, Free, Reverse T3, Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPO) and Thyroglobulin Antibodies (TgAb)
These last two evaluate thyroid antibodies. These antibodies are produced when the body mistakenly attacks the thyroid. It is these antibodies that can indicate that some degree of the autoimmune condition, Hashimoto’s.

On my labs, it says the range for "healthy LDL" is capped at 99, lol. Back in the day it used to be 300, then it has been gradually lowered with subsequent "studies" funded by the statin manufactures, from 250, to 200, to 150, etc. Basically, it's just a way to get more people as "subscribers" so they keep getting that residual income, because when you start a statin, you're on it for life.

Same with blood pressure. Hypertension stage 1 used to start at 140/90. In 2017 several health organizations lowered it to 130/80 being the start of stage 1.