• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Negative feedback loop

Go to solution Solved by Geezy,

I have been eating non food items today. It wasn't really planned and mostly out of boredom. The farts are out of control right now. Lord have mercy. I am gonna  fast longer tomorrow. I am going to make pizza for my family for dinner and I am going to have chuck eyes on the grill. Btw a yellow jacket 🐝is trying to build it's nest in our grill.

I hear you Miranda, I experimented with some venison chili back in the winter and I was miserable for three days. Don’t know it was the tomato or the spices but that’s off my list forever.
It’s good to know what your limitations are.
Back when I was a heavy drinker I used to say that “Every once in awhile I gotta get drunk just to remind myself why I shouldn’t do that anymore.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/26/2024 at 9:57 PM, Miranda said:

Btw a yellow jacket 🐝is trying to build it's nest in our grill.

They might rethink this after you fire it up, lol 😄

10 hours ago, Miranda said:

I can feel the brain fog lifting today!

Glad you are feeling better.

I've yet to succumb to any processed junk food. I'm striving to maintain my vow never to eat refined sugar or grains ever again. If I cheat, it's with single-ingredient whole foods, whether it be a fruit or vegetable. 

I will say that sometimes even that will make me feel drained for a few hours, typically if I ate a salad. I need to test whether it's the plants or the dressing, but I suspect it's the dressing. It's literally the only time I might consume a seed oil, about once in any given month.

5 hours ago, Bob said:

They might rethink this after you fire it up, lol 😄

Glad you are feeling better.

I've yet to succumb to any processed junk food. I'm striving to maintain my vow never to eat refined sugar or grains ever again. If I cheat, it's with single-ingredient whole foods, whether it be a fruit or vegetable. 

I will say that sometimes even that will make me feel drained for a few hours, typically if I ate a salad. I need to test whether it's the plants or the dressing, but I suspect it's the dressing. It's literally the only time I might consume a seed oil, about once in any given month.

I have given myself permission to eat ice cream at one particular shop that makes their own. I have nfi what they use for ingredients but, it's the best ice cream in the state IMO. My son and I have been nudging my husband to take us there for 2 weeks. We'll come to find out he doesn't want to take us because, he felt it was too expensive last summer and imagine how expensive it is this summer, yada, yada. So I ate my go to comfort food in disappointment. I really love

Spoiler

graham crackers dipped in milk

Spoiler

and added peanut butter makes it taste like nutter butter.

I also think the flavored seltzer might be a driver of sweet cravings. I guess I will stick to club soda.

3 hours ago, Miranda said:

I have nfi what they use for ingredients

Ignorance is bliss. I know in my own experience that I have stopped eating numerous processed foods after reading the ingredients labels.  As I abstain from all sugar and sweeteners ice cream is a no brainer for me. 

I may have mentioned this in another thread. I got the Ninja Creami, and so I have been experiementing with trying to make a decent carnivore or keto ice cream. So far the batches I have made have been decent, but not spectacular. It's basically heavy cream and egg yolks. I've tried one batch sweetened with raw honey and another with allulose. It was again, good and satisfies, but certainly makes it clear just how much SUGAR must go in regular ice cream. It's similar but not the same.

I recently found a connection to get raw milk, raw cream, and raw cheese from a farm nearby. I might try a combination of milk and cream instead of heavy cream alone, and see if that improves it any.

3 hours ago, Bob said:

allulose

I heard allulose is supposed to make the ice cream scoopable. I have been thinking of making ice cream but it's hard to find HWC that doesn't have gunk in it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm rolling without the 'niceties' or trying to make it better. I'm good with straight meat and eggs. I have actually enjoyed this way of eating as it sort of fits me I think.

I ate two small cups the first week or so and have not eaten anything other than meats and eggs since. I walked the grocery store with my wife and had zero cravings regardless of the aisle.

Similar to getting sober and hanging out at the bar. For some it is doable, for some not so much.

Best of luck and hold on the best you can.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2024 at 6:57 PM, Miranda said:

I have been eating non food items today. It wasn't really planned and mostly out of boredom. The farts are out of control right now. Lord have mercy. I am gonna  fast longer tomorrow. I am going to make pizza for my family for dinner and I am going to have chuck eyes on the grill. Btw a yellow jacket 🐝is trying to build it's nest in our grill.

I have eaten my hat, eaten words, eaten "it" as in wrecked to some degree. What is a non-food item for you?

I have eaten my hat, eaten words, eaten "it" as in wrecked to some degree. What is a non-food item for you?

Non food for me is anything highly processed. Anything that is a grain, seed or legume. All seed or vegetable oils. All vegetables.
Basically anything that doesn’t provide optimal nutrition for my body is non-food.

I slipped the other night. I was getting my steak ready and purely from muscle memory grabbed the Heinz 57 sauce, never even flinched or thought about it. 

When I sat down to eat it was there. 

I didn't see the point in wasting it so I ate what amounted to a 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon. It was good and I didn't see any negative impacts.

But I punished myself by taking on 3 or 4 tenths onto my morning walk. Sort of paying tribute to the carnivore gods. LOL

Scott

I slipped the other night. I was getting my steak ready and purely from muscle memory grabbed the Heinz 57 sauce, never even flinched or thought about it. 
When I sat down to eat it was there. 
I didn't see the point in wasting it so I ate what amounted to a 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon. It was good and I didn't see any negative impacts.
But I punished myself by taking on 3 or 4 tenths onto my morning walk. Sort of paying tribute to the carnivore gods. LOL
Scott

Old habits are difficult to break. All I would have needed to do is read the ingredients label and I would have immediately cleaned it off of my meat as much as possible. But that’s just me, I’m fairly strict with what I’ll put in my body. It’s everyone’s personal choice according to their needs.
On a side note, do you know how steak sauces such as 57 and A1?
Back during the Industrial Revolution when trying to feed the masses moving to the cities for work in the factories there was very little refrigeration or control of the quality of meat sold in stores. Often meat that was sold, cooked and served was rancid. Steak sauces were created to cover up the bad taste of the rancid meats.
Is it any wonder why people started eating so many grains and vegetables back then.

17 hours ago, Geezy said:

Non food for me is anything highly processed. Anything that is a grain, seed or legume. All seed or vegetable oils. All vegetables.
Basically anything that doesn’t provide optimal nutrition for my body is non-food.

Bingo 

9 hours ago, Geezy said:

Old habits are difficult to break. All I would have needed to do is read the ingredients label and I would have immediately cleaned it off of my meat as much as possible. But that’s just me, I’m fairly strict with what I’ll put in my body. It’s everyone’s personal choice according to their needs.
On a side note, do you know how steak sauces such as 57 and A1?
Back during the Industrial Revolution when trying to feed the masses moving to the cities for work in the factories there was very little refrigeration or control of the quality of meat sold in stores. Often meat that was sold, cooked and served was rancid. Steak sauces were created to cover up the bad taste of the rancid meats.
Is it any wonder why people started eating so many grains and vegetables back then.

Maybe something interesting to consider:

Aged meat is prized. It is meat which has been allowed time to decay. The decay is what makes it so tender. It is carrion. Somewhere along the line some people made a discovery. Maybe there was desperation involved. Maybe ignorance. Maybe the environment was generally so unsanitary there was not enough striking contrast to call attention to the rotten condition of what people were willing to eat. I remember back in the early 60's they would show these films of how life would be after a disaster and even a nuclear bomb drop. They advised to just trim off the outer layer of a cut of roast before cooking and eating it.

I used to know someone who was really good at telling long stories. He would kind of take a scenic route in the form of step by step looking at a word and its definition and then another which that one lead to weaving and looping around ultimately coming to a place you had no anticipation of getting to. I found myself doing this with food, nutritious, optimal, carrion so forth. Food which provides the most nutrition with the least negative consequences is a mouthful to say. But "food" here among a group with a common ground probably should be enough. I am just too new and have not fully considered how it changes the meaning of common words.

One time I was vacationing in a hospital after major surgery and a drill sergeant of a nurse insisted that I eat the protein they served so I could heal. I had passed it over because it was more spicy than I ever ate and it also was buried under cheese. They had been feeding me laxatives hoping for the ever so important movement which was a green light to get from ICU to a regular ward. She was part of the reason I was ultimately released a whole week later without that movement. In more ways than one "food" is an ever-moving target depending on circumstances.

Edited by Another Meat Head