• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Oh that looks really interesting.

I haven't. The closest thing I have used to one is an old George Foreman grill, which is designed to let the fat roll away from your food to be collected and disposed of. Now that I'm mostly carnivore, I wouldn't dream of letting that wonderful fat go down the drain, lol.

Had a girlfriend one time that had an electric grill. Best thing I remember is that we smoked up the house really bad. Don't think we ever used it inside again.  Maybe if one had a drip tray on top of the coils? 

I’ve never used one. If I’m cooking a steak it’s either over a wood fire or in a cast iron skillet. I can’t imagine using a contraption like that in the house. I don’t even pan fry my steaks indoors. I do all of that outside. It would probably put a nice sere on the steak but nothing beats a piece of meat that’s been kissed by a smoky flame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Miranda said:

I wonder if an air fryer might be an option. I don't have one but I see them being used in the carnivore YouTubes.

I've looked into that as well, but found it to be very limited. I got a cast iron pan instead. Cheaper and will outlast an air fryer, in fact, it will outlast me lol. 

I've looked into that as well, but found it to be very limited. I got a cast iron pan instead. Cheaper and will outlast an air fryer, in fact, it will outlast me lol. 

My main cast iron pan is a Griswald that’s older than me.

21 hours ago, Geezy said:

My main cast iron pan is a Griswald that’s older than me.

It's crazy how we get rid of something so durable, in exchange for convenience. Though I must say, stainless steel can outlast you as well. I've gotten rid of anything teflon or other non-stick sprayed pans. 

When there is limited time I use my Airfryer to do a decent Ribeye in ~15 Minutes without a lot of cleaning effort. Also sausages and other stuff is easy to do in an Airfryer.

Of course this does not beat the combination of Sous Vide + 800° Top-Heat Grill for Ribeyes and other Steaks but sometimes things must go quick

17 minutes ago, Bob said:

I hear this term tossed around a lot. I need to look into exactly what this is.

I just received one for my birthday, but am scared to use it. Something about leaving a roast in the water for 18 hours. I should try a steak, but so far the 2 hours for that doesn't line up with my work schedule. It's method of cooking meat sealed in a bag in a bath of water at lower temp. You are supposed to sear the meat when it is done. It can be done in a crock pot or instant pot or you can buy a souvide appliance, that is looks like a stick blender, but it just a heat element with temp and timer control.

I hear this term tossed around a lot. I need to look into exactly what this is.

What you are doing is cooking the meat in a water bath at a set temperature. For instance, let’s say you like your steaks a medium rare.
You would set the water temp at 125°. Once it reaches that temperature it will not go over that temp. You could leave it in there all day and it will not change. So you could put a steak in the the water, set the temp and go to work. When you get home you have a perfectly cook steak and all that’s left is to sear it in an extremely hot skillet or fire to get the Mallard effect on the outside. It can be a time saver for those on the go or a good way of getting that perfectly done steak for those who just can’t get it right.
Another big plus is that if you use vacuum bags you put your seasonings and marinades in the bag with the meat and when you vacuum seal it everything will infuse into the meat. Leave it sealed for 24 hours or at least overnight before going in the water bath.
A lot of your high end restaurants use these and that’s how they get you the perfectly cook steak fast. They will put steaks in the water baths early in the day in different temperatures and when the order comes in all they have to do is quickly sear it at about 800°.

Grill is a term that can mean very different things. Sometimes all it is is a form of frying. A George Foreman Grill is just a fry with raised ribbing which lifts the meat away from sitting in the grease and also imparts a pattern resembling the bars on a rack over coals. Grilled burgers in a restaurant are just fried on the same grill they use to make pancakes on. While charcoal grilled means the burgers rest on a rack over coals or wood or maybe even gas flame.

When I think of the distinct "grill" many times people are wanting that flamed aspect involved. That gets sketchy indoors unless you have a very efficient ventilation system in the kitchen. I purchased a sort of smoking gun solution. It shoots smoke not bullets. I go out on the balcony and have a clean plastic trash bag serving as a tent. I place the plate of meat inside and shoot the tent full of the smoke. The "bullets" come in every common wood chip used with smokers. The downside it that the flavoring takes time. A shot is not going to do it. You need to soak the meat in the cloud for long enough to flavor it which is probably at least an hour. You are better off doing this after the meat is cooked. If you do it before you will just cook the smoke flavor out of it. So what looked like a practical means of obtaining the open flamed smoky flavor has turned out to be very impractical and the device has sat in a cupboard for a years after experimenting a few times.

So far the closest I can get to a BBQ'd flavor is by cooking on high heat in a frying pan and allowing the meat to sit frying and not being tempted to flip it too soon or too frequently. Sear the outside and allow the drippings and cheese, if any used, to melt over the sides and burn in the pan like they would if there was a flame. This tastes close to a BBQ'd burger for instance. But you have to control the smoking. I open the place up and have a fan going or the fire alarm goes off. If all timed and cooked right it tastes great through.

I have used a convection oven (air fryers are a form of convection cooker) but that gets smokey because meat splatters grease then smokes every time you use it unless you keep it cleaned. I never use one to cook meat with because of this cleaning issue.