• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Looking back...I  was feeling damn good on days 4 and 5 of  strictly BBBE, and was pleasantly surprised I felt so well already. Yesterday ( day 6 ) I picked up a pork shoulder roast  for some variety, and as a mini celebration of what turned out to be a 31+ hr fast by the time it was finished. I ate it  from it twice  in the evening about 2 hrs apart. Today I've felt like crap again with keto flu symptoms, and the trots are back.  My take is... perhaps I was feeling that good so soon because I just ate BBBE?  It seems like the pork brought me back to reality. I know everyone is different, but has anyone experienced this, or at least heard of this before?

I haven’t experienced this but I’ve heard it often and from the testimonies of our fellow members it’s pretty common. Pigs and chicken are monogastric animals so they don’t ferment their foods during digestion like ruminants do. So what ever they eat affects their meat in ways that can be intolerant to us. The old saying applies to them “you are what you eat”. Then there’s the omega 6 ratio being higher that the omega 3 ratio in them which makes the less healthy for us and definitely less satiating when eaten. That’s my only problem with pork or chicken is I just don’t get satiated when eating them so I have to add a lot of butter to them.
Many people find that they do much better on ruminants.
This being an elimination diet you just discovered something that you should probably eliminate.
I just hope I never experience an aversion to pork. I’d hate to have to give up spare ribs and bacon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm the same about the pork. I would not be happy giving that up. LOL

When I eat bacon, it is with eggs and butter so I may be hiding the pork effect. But if we have pork chops or cook butts/shoulders I can feel the difference. It has been a while since we did a pork belly so maybe that would tell me if it's the actual pork or the lack of fat with certain pork. 

When we do thighs or quarters, I'm already a big fan of the skin, but can feel the difference from chicken to the red meats. 

On Monday there were a lot of chuck steaks/Dever steaks that were passed over at the grocery store. Most all of them were marked down. These seemed particularly fatty and I am guessing that is why they were passed over. I'm thinking 'lucky me'. 

I'm all red meat for the next few days. 

Scott

I never buy pork or poultry from the supermarket because you never know what those animals are fed and they are monogastric so can't filter out the garbage like ruminant animals do.  I also very rarely eat bacon.

I do plan on very occasionally buying pork and poultry from local farms where I know what they are generally feeding the animals.  Meat from animals fed a proper diet should be fine.

Ruminant meat is still king.  That and eggs is 95% of what I eat.