Everything posted by Bob
-
Intermittent Fasting - Have you done this? And for how long?
Yes, me too. This is completely understandable. I work in construction and whenever my coworker starts eating his lunch I can't help but get hungry too. I can skip breakfast but watching him eat, coupled with our hard work, will do me in, lol. Yes it does. Starting at about the 18 hour mark, your body begins autophagy, that is, it starts breaking down it's own cells and tissues for energy. But the body is smart and it goes after damaged tissue, dead cells, fat cells, etc, and keeps your muscles and organs safe. The result is a cleansing/purifying effect. The concept may sound strange today, but this was regular practice in times past.
-
Ketogenic diet and prevention of high‑frequency episodic migraines [Files Library]
View File Ketogenic diet and prevention of high‑frequency episodic migraines Migraine is the second world’s cause of disability. Among non-pharmacological treatments, nutritional intervention, particularly ketogenic diet, represents one of the most promising approaches. Submitter Bob Submitted 10/07/2023 Category Research Studies
-
78 Years Old and Never Ate a Vegetable in His Life
This was an interesting video to watch... https://edition.cnn.com/videos/sports/2023/10/05/al-michaels-vegetables-wallace-wtcw-cprog-vpx.cnn I'll have to remember to look this up on Max tomorrow or over the weekend. He sure looks healthy for 78 😉
-
Eating at restaurants
Welcome Savannah! I agree Jimmy John's is a great option for keto and ketovore dieters and there are many times that I have had their JJ Gargantuan Unwich. I also love Texas Roadhouse and touted it as my favorite steakhouse for years until recently I became more fond of Longhorn Steakhouse. Although since switching to a mostly carnivore diet I just cook steaks at home now. It's weird that what used to be a treat is now my staple, lol. A little FYI about Texas Roadhouse though. The one near me let's you watch the cooks preparing food as you are waiting for a table. I would see them take a ladel of oil and put it on the flat grill and then put the raw steak on it. Then they would dump another ladel over top. I asked them what they were pouring on the steak and they told me it was a vegetable seed oil. I think they said rice oil. Well, seed oils are not good for you, so now when I go to Texas Roadhouse I tell them to just cook it over the open flame and that I absolutely cannot have my steak touch any seed oils. They are happy to oblige and it still tastes fantastic when it is simply grilled the proper way. Other Keto options usually include a salad from just about anywhere. For carnivore options, any steak and seafood place. If I am in a hurry, Wendy's will let you order sides of large beef patty and bacon and it is actually very fresh and tasty and remarkably cheap.
- Https://carnivore2024.com
-
Hello, Patrik from Sweden - Am I doing the Carnivore Diet in the right way?
I do think it takes about 6 weeks for the body to get used to carnivore. Keto dieters will call this becoming "fat adapted". You'll experience the "keto flu" for the first half of that period and maybe keto breath, both of which is temporary, and for some it takes that long until your stool becomes normal again. Weight loss could start happening within the first few days though. As soon as you have used up all your glycogen (the carbs stored in your muscles and liver) your body switches over to ketosis, burning fat for energy. This will be both the fat you consume and if needed, the fat you have stored.
-
Post a picture... Any picture
- Vitamin C ??
Hello Mary, Since you mentioned scurvy in particular, let's answer this with scurvy in mind. You only need 10mg a day to prevent scurvy. And meat actually does contain some vitamin C but in small quantities. For example, grain-fed beef has 1.6 mg of vitamin C per 100g, and grass-fed beef has 2.53 mg of vitamin C per 100g. Organ meats are superfoods and have a lot more vitamin C. If you do the math, if you were to only eat grain-fed beef, 2 pounds of beef a day would give you 14.5 mg of vitamin C which is more than the scurvy threshold. There's much more than can be said about Vitamin C, such as why humans on a carnivore diet don't need as much, and more. But the simple answer to the scurvy concern is that there is enough Vitamin C in meat to alleviate any concerns about coming down with scurvy.- Big Food Companies to Wage War on Ozempic
If Ozempic Makes People Eat Less, Maker of Cheez-It Will Be Ready Kellanova prepared for mitigation if needed, Cahillane says Former Kellogg Co. just completed separation from cereal arm By Deena Shanker October 2, 2023 at 2:23 PM UTC Diabetes drug Ozempic and other appetite-suppressing medications are set to help overweight Americans cut down on their calorie intake. US food companies are unlikely to sit idly by. “We’re by no means complacent,” Kellanova Chief Executive Officer Steve Cahillane said in an interview Monday. The recently renamed Kellogg Co. just completed its separation from its North American cereal business, now called WK Kellogg Co. Kellanova is a global snacking company, with brands like Cheez-It, Pringles and Rice Krispies Treats. Snack consumption is on the rise and is expected to continue growing. Cahillane called it “very, very early days” for the drug but said the company was studying its potential impact on dietary behaviors so it could respond if necessary. “Like everything that potentially impacts our business, we’ll look at it, study it and, if necessary, mitigate,” Cahillane said, emphasizing that it was premature to make predictions. Discussing how his business has responded to similar threats, Cahillane pointed to the UK’s High Fat Sugar Salt regulations, which restricted how certain foods could be marketed. In response, the company changed its formulations and merchandising strategies, Cahillane said. “What happened is, our business wasn’t affected,” he said. Although prescriptions for these drugs skyrocketed 300% from 2020 to 2022, it’s still too early to know how they will affect consumer behaviors like eating habits on a large scale. Ozempic is made by Novo Nordisk A/S. Last week, an analyst report from Jefferies said Kellogg was among the snack makers with the most potential exposure but noted that the firm couldn’t yet measure any volume shift. Kellanova is looking at potential penetration levels in both the US and other markets, he said. “Who’s gonna cover it? Who’s gonna be on it? Do they stay on it?” he said, listing questions the company will try to answer. “There’s growing stories about the secondary effects of it, so we’re studying that,” he added. — With assistance by Madison Muller Article Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-10-02/with-ozempic-weight-loss-looming-kellanova-s-ceo-says-snack-maker-is-ready Source is behind a paywall, but was able to be read using the SmartNews app.- Intermittent Fasting - Have you done this? And for how long?
Nice. Now that I have finally done a 24 hour fast, I think it's going to be easier to do another one. I am probably going to aim for Friday dinner to Saturday dinner as I think that will work best for me. Last week's ordeal with the bad steak, stomachache, and unintentional fast broke my plateau, which I am pleased with. I plateau for weeks at a time, and then drop a few, then plateau again, then drop some more, etc. But while I have been on my plateau I still moved up another notch on my belt, which is pretty sweet 😄 I feel the same way. Currently, I might "cheat" with a salad or side of vegetables every 2-3 weeks of I go out. When I reach my target weight, I will probably go ketovore and still be very meat-centric.- Hello, Patrik from Sweden - Am I doing the Carnivore Diet in the right way?
Welcome Patrik 🙂 Yes, it sounds like you are doing just fine. When I started carnivore, I would also do 2 meals a day. Brunch would be 4-6 eggs with breakfast meat and dinner would a pound of beef, ground or steak, and occasionally I would mix things up and do seafood or chicken. If I did seafood or chicken I also prepared bacon because much seafood and chicken is simply too lean and not enough fat for me. I still had my tea in the morning and I do take a few supplements. I was probably clocking in at 2000 calories, give or take. After a while my weight loss plateaued, and so I started minimizing cheese. A couple doctors have easy acronyms for their 30/90 day challenges. Dr. Berry calls his BBBE, which stands for beef, butter, bacon, and eggs. Dr. Kiltz calls his B.E.B.B.I.I.S. (pronounces "Babies") which stands for Bacon, Eggs, Butter, Beef, Ice Cream, Intermittent Fasting, Salt (Dr. Kiltz has a "carnivore ice cream" recipe). Then there is the Lion Diet, which is limited to ruminant animals only (no chicken, pork, or seafood). A lot of carnivore's still enjoy a cup of coffee. The raw egg and butter is still carnivore so you are okay there. But if this is independent of your brunch and you're attempting intermittent fasting, the raw egg is likely breaking the fast. But it doesn't sound like you are intermittent fasting. All in all it sounds like you are doing great!- Intermittent Fasting - Have you done this? And for how long?
When I started strict carnivore, back in May when I broke my ankle, I practiced intermittent fasting with two means a day. This was about a 16/8 or 17/7 interval, eating at noon, and then again between 7 and 8pm. Some mornings I really longed for noon because I was hungry, lol. I finally pulled off my first 24 hour fast. It was 25 hours to be exact. The last time I ate was at 3pm yesterday, and I just ate again at 4pm today. I may have had a little help with a steak that I ate which probably should have been tossed in the trash Wednesday night. It started to affect me Thursday but Friday was worse. I didn't eat until 3pm and that was all I had. I didn't have any desire to eat the rest of the day. I stopped intermittent fasting when I returned to work, but I think I might want to put it back into practice. Either that or keep pulling off 24 hour fasts once a week. Have you or do you practice intermittent fasting?- Exercise during carnivore?
Hello BrowniePoints 🙂 I don't see how it would interfere with the process. I imagine you will simply burn up your carbohydrate stores faster. Once they are used up your body has to switch to burning ketones. You might find yourself weak or fatigued and having massive carb cravings during the time it takes your body to switch over from a carb burning machine to a fat burning machine, but once it does you'll feel fine again.- Post a picture... Any picture
- What about Calcium and Potassium?
Welcome Randy! Currently nothing special for calcium. Just whatever is in my carnivore or animal-based food choices. For potassium, I occasionally use a product called Daily Minerals from Keto Chow, about once or twice a week. I only use this "as needed" for leg cramps because I have a kidney issue, and I can become hyperkalemic. This stuff tastes like pure nightmares, so you have to dilute it in something and spread the dose out throughout the day. Something less potent and actually quite tasty is the LMNT electrolyte drink mixes. You would have to drink 5 of these a day to match one dose of the Daily Minerals content. These taste delicious even just mixed with water. Some carnivores eat several pounds of meat per day, like 4-5 pounds minimum and so they get their electrolyte requirements met and don't take anything at all. I don't get that hungry myself, lol.- Total Cholesterol and All-Cause Mortality by Sex and Age
- 113 downloads
"Reduction of total cholesterol (TC) has been an integral part of public health campaigns... Although disease-specific morbidity and mortality, such as IHD mortality, have their analytical merits, all-cause mortality is arguably the most important endpoint for patients or the general population when assessing risk factors and the effectiveness of a treatment or a public health intervention for life-threatening diseases. The target TC levels for public health interventions in the general population should be determined after careful consideration of the levels associated with the lowest mortality in the general population... Through a large prospective cohort study among over 12 million participants, we examined whether the association between TC levels and all-cause mortality varied by sex and age, and estimated the sex- and age-specific levels of TC associated with the lowest mortality. Additionally, detailed estimates of the mean (and median) concentrations of TC according to sex and age are presented."- Total Cholesterol and All-Cause Mortality by Sex and Age [Files Library]
View File Total Cholesterol and All-Cause Mortality by Sex and Age "Reduction of total cholesterol (TC) has been an integral part of public health campaigns... Although disease-specific morbidity and mortality, such as IHD mortality, have their analytical merits, all-cause mortality is arguably the most important endpoint for patients or the general population when assessing risk factors and the effectiveness of a treatment or a public health intervention for life-threatening diseases. The target TC levels for public health interventions in the general population should be determined after careful consideration of the levels associated with the lowest mortality in the general population... Through a large prospective cohort study among over 12 million participants, we examined whether the association between TC levels and all-cause mortality varied by sex and age, and estimated the sex- and age-specific levels of TC associated with the lowest mortality. Additionally, detailed estimates of the mean (and median) concentrations of TC according to sex and age are presented." Submitter Bob Submitted 09/28/2023 Category Research Studies- Fruit and honey?
I think we're all brothers and there is no need to be a carnivore zealot or purist. Those that eat an Animal-based diet are welcome here. If enough Animal-based dieters eventually join then we can create a forum for them or rename an existing forum to sound more accommodating. The emphasis on keto-carnivore stems from my personal experience. Most people I know in this space are doing zero carb carnivore for weight loss purposes and for optimizing their health. I don't think fruit is going to kill anybody in general. Certain people, like diabetics, should exercise caution, because fruit has sugar, sugar raises insulin, etc etc. It will also kick one out of ketosis and slow down weight loss. But if you're metabolically healthy and have reached your goal weight and want to eat some fruit, then you do you.- Post a picture... Any picture
- Weaning myself from omeprozole (Prilosec)
- Post a picture... Any picture
- The Harvard Carnivore Diet Study 2020-2021
- 618 downloads
In 2020 a team of researchers at Harvard University conducted the first mainstream study on the carnivore diet. The study surveyed over 2000 carnivore dieters. The findings were published in Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 5, Issue 12 in December 2021.- The Harvard Carnivore Diet Study 2020-2021 [Files Library]
View File The Harvard Carnivore Diet Study 2020-2021 In 2020 a team of researchers at Harvard University conducted the first mainstream study on the carnivore diet. The study surveyed over 2000 carnivore dieters. The findings were published in Current Developments in Nutrition, Volume 5, Issue 12 in December 2021. Submitter Bob Submitted 09/23/2023 Category Research Studies- Weaning myself from omeprozole (Prilosec)
I know of several people who were able to wean themselves off of Omeprazole. Some suggest weaning off of it slowly, gradually lowering your dosage. Others have also found it beneficial to dilute apple cider vinegar and water and drink it, similar to what you are doing. Another recommendation is to stop consuming food several hours before bedtime. You don't want to lie down with contents still processing in your stomach. And then another tip is to take a couple bricks put them under the headposts of your bed so that your head is elevated. You might even do 2 sets of bricks. Combine these tips with your carnivore diet and you could be well on your way to getting rid of your refux problems. I would suspect that if you were heavily dependent on the omeprazole before and now you are able to take it less often, that this is indeed a good sign. But I personally am not qualified to give you a definite answer. Thanks for visiting. You'll need to register if you want to continue the conversation 🙂- Post a picture... Any picture
- Vitamin C ??
Welcome to Carnivore Talk!
Our Carnivore Forum is a community of friends focused on an animal-based ketogenic lifestyle. Become a member today for FREE and gain the knowledge and expertise you need to take control of your own health. We look forward to supporting you on your personal health journey.
Why Keto & Carnivore?
We believe that a proper, all natural human diet should be meat-based, whether that's a keto, ketovore, or carnivore lifestyle. You will thrive on most nutrient dense foods on the planet, lose weight, and possibly reverse disease and chronic illnesses, so why not give this a try?
Important Information
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.
Account
Navigation
Search
Configure browser push notifications
Chrome (Android)
- Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
- Tap Permissions → Notifications.
- Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
- Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
- Select Site settings.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Safari (iOS 16.4+)
- Ensure the site is installed via Add to Home Screen.
- Open Settings App → Notifications.
- Find your app name and adjust your preference.
Safari (macOS)
- Go to Safari → Preferences.
- Click the Websites tab.
- Select Notifications in the sidebar.
- Find this website and adjust your preference.
Edge (Android)
- Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
- Tap Permissions.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Edge (Desktop)
- Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
- Click Permissions for this site.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Firefox (Android)
- Go to Settings → Site permissions.
- Tap Notifications.
- Find this site in the list and adjust your preference.
Firefox (Desktop)
- Open Firefox Settings.
- Search for Notifications.
- Find this site in the list and adjust your preference.