• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Other than starting carnivore 50 days ago I want to adapt more healthy habbits and I would love your recommendations. 

I will give a few examples:

- I know shampoo is really bad and has a lot of chemicals so I shower every day but use soap twice a week - is there a natural good shampoo ?

- What about brushing my teeth? The toothpaste has a lot of bad stuff in it, ia there a good toothpaste to recommend?

And so on...

9 hours ago, Matan1262 said:

I know shampoo is really bad and has a lot of chemicals so I shower every day but use soap twice a week - is there a natural good shampoo ?

I've never given much thought to shampoo. I've been balding for years and maintain a cleanshaven head now. Even when I had hair and did shampoo, it's only in your hair for maybe a minute and then you rinse it all off. 

However, a lot of people like soaps and shampoos from Dr. Squatch because they are made with all natural ingredients....

https://www.drsquatch.com/

I soap all over, but unless you have dirt or some funk on you then you only really need to address the pits & bits, cracks & crevices, lol

9 hours ago, Matan1262 said:

What about brushing my teeth? The toothpaste has a lot of bad stuff in it, ia there a good toothpaste to recommend?

Around here Tom's Toothpaste is pretty popular, especially the fluoride-free versions...

https://www.tomsofmaine.com/

Even with toothpaste, I personally am not too concerned because I am not going to swallow it anyway. But some people are concerned about killing beneficial bacteria in the mouth. I've never gone down that rabbit hole and don't plan to, lol.

You might want to check Amazon or other vendors that serve your country to see if you can get these or something similar over there.

On 12/11/2023 at 3:16 AM, Matan1262 said:

Other than starting carnivore 50 days ago I want to adapt more healthy habbits and I would love your recommendations. 

I will give a few examples:

- I know shampoo is really bad and has a lot of chemicals so I shower every day but use soap twice a week - is there a natural good shampoo ?

- What about brushing my teeth? The toothpaste has a lot of bad stuff in it, ia there a good toothpaste to recommend?

And so on...

There's plenty of natural solutions out there, I for one use a goatmilk/charcoal soap bar. As for tooth paste, I am far less concerned. It needs fluoride at least for me. 

Staying away from sugar, processed foods, get all the plastic out of your kitchen, no more Teflon pans, clean kitchen with vinegar, find a natural deodorant, no more fast-food, and remember to get fresh air and sunlight! Cold showers are even better, drink room temp water, stretching or yoga, get good sleep habits, try a fast!

11 minutes ago, Orweller said:

There's plenty of natural solutions out there, I for one use a goatmilk/charcoal soap bar. As for tooth paste, I am far less concerned. It needs fluoride at least for me. 

Staying away from sugar, processed foods, get all the plastic out of your kitchen, no more Teflon pans, clean kitchen with vinegar, find a natural deodorant, no more fast-food, and remember to get fresh air and sunlight! Cold showers are even better, drink room temp water, stretching or yoga, get good sleep habits, try a fast!

Which pan do you recommend?

2 hours ago, Geezy said:

What’s the reasoning behind this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainly digestion. Cold water contracts the blood vessels and may restrict digestion (constipation, etc). On carnivore it seems to me to have more importance. Especially in the beginning. I have always drank my water at room temp. It also lowers heartrate, which has a shocking effect on the body. 

Mainly digestion. Cold water contracts the blood vessels and may restrict digestion (constipation, etc). On carnivore it seems to me to have more importance. Especially in the beginning. I have always drank my water at room temp. It also lowers heartrate, which has a shocking effect on the body. 

I’ve never heard that before but I’ll definitely give it a try.
I drink ice water all day long and I deal with constipation.
I’ll start drinking room temp and see how it affects me.
Thanks.

4 hours ago, Matan1262 said:

Will it work with induction?

Perfect for it! Stainless steel and cast iron, do it! Though mind the surface of the stove! I would start with stainless steel, and that has a learning curve if you are used to non-stick. 

Edited by Orweller

3 hours ago, Geezy said:

I’ve never heard that before but I’ll definitely give it a try.
I drink ice water all day long and I deal with constipation.
I’ll start drinking room temp and see how it affects me.
Thanks.

To your defense, you are in Texas after all, it gets hot. 

I have always been told not to drink cold water, and in a restaurant I never get the ice, because I know those ice-cube machines are nasty, used to repair those back in day. 

Even after a run in an Ohio summer, I would drink normal temp water. Still works!

I love ice water. I have an Opal Ice Maker that makes the little pellet ice, or "Sonic" ice, as they call it named after the burger joint.

I did hear that about drinking room temperature water though on a video from Steak & Butter Girl after she returned from Chine. Her mother wouldn't let her, lol. Apparently nobody in China uses ice.

8 hours ago, Bob said:

I love ice water. I have an Opal Ice Maker that makes the little pellet ice, or "Sonic" ice, as they call it named after the burger joint.

I did hear that about drinking room temperature water though on a video from Steak & Butter Girl after she returned from Chine. Her mother wouldn't let her, lol. Apparently nobody in China uses ice.

I think it's prevalent in the US. Iced coffee, iced tea, etc. Also when you go out to eat, they fill that glass half full of ice cubes. Had to get used to that when I moved to the US, but quickly decided I'll do without the ice. Again, it's a preference. If it doesn't bother one, one should have that choice. Carnivore is limited as is. 

But from a health perspective; streamlining healthy behaviors for optimal health, it's worth the consideration. 

But from a health perspective; streamlining healthy behaviors for optimal health, it's worth the consideration. 

I agree with this completely. I quit using ice since our talk yesterday and will continue even come summertime.
I’m always open to improving.

• 3 months later...
On 12/14/2023 at 4:44 AM, Bob said:

I did hear that about drinking room temperature water though on a video from Steak & Butt though after she returned from Chine. Her mother wouldn't let her, lol. Apparently nobody in China uses ice. 

I can't deal with ice water, to be honest. I prefer taking warm water most of the times and that is how I have been able to cope. Maybe I will adjust in the future, but at the moment, it doesn't go well with me.

So many good ideas here. I prefer to drink my waterhot  now. I am not a big fan of ice. 

I only wash my hair once a week. I use regular ivory soap, but have been thinking of trying trad tallow soap. 

For toothpaste I have been using one from Redmond's that is clay and xylitol based.  Also Huberman just did a podcast on dental care where swishing with salt water is recommended.

Something I discovered recently is that castor oil makes a great antiperspirant. You need to source organic, cold pressed, hexane free, in a glass bottle castor oil and have it on hand, for it has many uses. I also put it in my eyes for dry eyes. And  it does what no eyedrop was capable of. 

5 hours ago, Miranda said:

So many good ideas here. I prefer to drink my waterhot  now. I am not a big fan of ice. 

I only wash my hair once a week. I use regular ivory soap, but have been thinking of trying trad tallow soap. 

For toothpaste I have been using one from Redmond's that is clay and xylitol based.  Also Huberman just did a podcast on dental care where swishing with salt water is recommended.

Something I discovered recently is that castor oil makes a great antiperspirant. You need to source organic, cold pressed, hexane free, in a glass bottle castor oil and have it on hand, for it has many uses. I also put it in my eyes for dry eyes. And  it does what no eyedrop was capable of. 

I am also moving towards less toxins in my daily routine. 

I haven't cared much about toothpaste. When I was diagnosed with periodontitis before I started carnivore, I was using "Gum Detoxify" because it has stannous flouride, and I wanted to kill that bacteria that got into my gum pockets. I also started using a water flosser. Since then, my gums no longer bleed, which I do attribute more to my diet than my toothpaste and irrigation choices, but the combination of all three probably helped.

I sometimes think about getting Dr. Squatch products, but soap is another thing I haven't really paid much mind to.