• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Hey gang!

I'm curious as to whether you guys regularly eat organ meat?

I eat a primarily meat based diet but would like to integrate organ meats (especially beef liver). I'm unsure whether I should go with a big chunk once a week or a little portion daily to get the extra nutrients and increase bioavailability.

Does anyone have any reliable articles addressing this topic?

Thanks!!

I don’t have any articles to cite at the moment but there are several videos on utube from Dr’s Berry, Chaffee and others speaking on the subject.
Everyone seems to be in a different camp about eating organs. Some think that small amounts daily are good and others think a few ounces weekly is sufficient and then there’s those that just don’t see the need for it. I think it all depends on your personal preference and whether you feel your body can benefit from it.
I eat organ meats as I think they are the most nutritious parts of the animal.
I don’t eat them every week but I do eat them a couple times a month or more depending on availability.
I eat heart, liver, sweetbreads and calf fries.
In my freezer right now I have liver from beef, sheep and venison. I have heart from sheep and deer.
In fact I’m on the process of thawing out the sheep and deer hearts, I have two of each, and will be grilling them tomorrow over a wood fire. PIMAL BAYBEE!
I’m also thawing out a sheep’s liver I’ll be making pate out of.
If you’re interested I started a thread on two liver recipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/19/2023 at 11:43 AM, Gege said:

I'm curious as to whether you guys regularly eat organ meat?

Not regularly. I get beef liver once every few months. I do wish I got it more often. We have a local place called Duma's Meats that sells it fresh and on the cheap. IF you can find it at a regular grocery store, it's usually frozen and about twice the price. I do desire to eat it more often than I do.

I'm unsure whether I should go with a big chunk once a week or a little portion daily to get the extra nutrients and increase bioavailability.

This is probably your choice. You could have an 8oz or more portion once a week, or you could break that up into daily portions. I know people who can't stand the taste of liver, so when they buy it they dice it up and freeze it and pop it like a pill each day (raw).

Does anyone have any reliable articles addressing this topic?

Paul Saladino lists the organs he eats each day in his Animal-Based guide....

https://www.paulsaladinomd.co/ab-guide

And he also wrote this guest article on this blog here...

https://daveasprey.com/how-to-eat-organ-meats/

He's eating about 3-5 ounces of various organ meats (liver, kidney, heart) on the daily.

Welcome aboard! 🙂

• 1 month later...

I really dislike organ meats.  I bought some frozen beef livers to keep and eat every once in a while.  Since I've heard varying opinions on the subject, I decided to just schedule myself to eat some once every 3 months.  I'm the type of person that likes to keep organized.  So, I put it on my calendar.  🙂

I got some liver over summer, fried it in bacon grease, and had it with my eggs and bacon, and it was all right. Not great. But not bad.

About a week ago or so I got some more, and lightly seared both sides and had it with my steak. I was told it was better this way. It was awful. I ate it hoping to get used to it, but suffered the entire time. I won't cook it like this again.

When I was a kid my dad would make liver and onions and I actually used to eat it with him and enjoyed it.

How do you cook  it?  I panfried it, but I think I cooked it too long and it was chewy.  I couldn't eat the whole thing.

My mom used to cook liver and onions sometimes when I was a kid too.  I didn't eat it though.  I remember that I thought it smelled and didn't taste good.  Me and my sister wouldn't eat it.  🙂

The way I make liver palatable for me is to make it into pate or liverwurst with liverwurst being my favorite. I don’t care for just fried liver. My wife likes liver fried and she will buy chicken livers and pan fry them in tallow. They are a little milder.
If you are not wanting to make the liver into a pate or liverwurst you could also chop it up or grind it and add it to hamburger or scrambled eggs.
While it is the most nutritious meat there is it’s not necessary for optimal health. Generally those who eat it like it and those who don’t avoid it. So, if you don’t like it then don’t force yourself to eat it.

16 hours ago, Sherry said:

I feel like I should eat a little bit every once in a while, for any nutrients I might be missing.

Once in a while would be all that is "natural". I hesitate to say that any organ meats are "needed".

Figure in the past you helped take down a 500+ pound cow are even larger mammoth. You and your tribe has nutritious muscle meat for everyone. But inside that beast there may have been an 8-10 pound liver. It's not like that got divided up among everybody.

People like Shawn Baker, Anthony Chaffee, and Bart Kay will all say that everything you need is right there in the muscle meat of ruminant animals.

Figure in the past you helped take down a 500+ pound cow are even larger mammoth. You and your tribe has nutritious muscle meat for everyone. But inside that beast there may have been an 8-10 pound liver. It's not like that got divided up among everybody.

True. To follow the most recent example we have, which would be our plains indians, when they took down a bison the very first thing they did was remove the liver and gall bladder. They would then split the gall bladder and squirt the bile over the liver and eat it raw, fresh and warm. It was the most prized part of the animal. The next favorite part was if it was a calf they would remove the stomach and drink the contents of fermented milk. They would then remove portions of the intestine and wrap it around their neck to chew on while they rode back to camp.
All organs were used in one way or another and it was shared among the tribe but the choicest parts went to the hunters.
This hunter shares the choicest parts.
How primal do you want to be?

4 hours ago, Geezy said:

They would then split the gall bladder and squirt the bile over the liver and eat it raw, fresh and warm... They would then remove portions of the intestine and wrap it around their neck to chew on while they rode back to camp.... How primal do you want to be?

Not that primal, lol 😄