• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Gum Abscess Healed Faster on Meat than Antibiotics…why?

I started getting regular gum abscesses about 10 years ago when I was bedridden due to an iatrogenic toxic nervous system injury. I never saw a dentist and would let them heal naturally, which usually took about a week and was very painful. About six months ago I got another one and got some antibiotics from my dentist, I had finally recovered enough from my illness to be able to attend an appointment. The antibiotics really messed up my system in several ways, but within 2 days the abscess pain was gone and it was completely healed after 5 days.

I’ve been meat based keto for about 4 weeks now, not sure exactly what it would be called, I’m eating meat, butter cheese, eggs, herbs and spices, a very small amount of A2 milk in tea and some low carb veggies on the weekend.

Yesterday afternoon I felt the beginning of another gum abscess. It starts as a throbbing ache deep in the gum below a tooth and the pain gets worse with pressure. Within 6 hours it had followed its normal course of swelling into a hard, painful lump. Usually what happens over the following 12 - 24 hours is that it gets bigger and softer and fills with fluid and the pain increases. But this morning it was still hard and had reduced in size and the pain had decreased. Now, 6 hours later it’s gone, there’s no swelling and no pain. I can’t believe it!!  It healed itself within 24 hours… because I’m just eating mostly meat now? How is this possible? Why would changing my diet in this way make this infection clear up so fast?

Edited by Jen

That’s fantastic!
It totally makes sense because as our bodies become metabolically healthier our bodies become strong enough to fend off infection and illness. This has been seen in carnivores who have recovered in half the time as other family members who have had viral infections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/7/2024 at 12:24 AM, Jen said:

Why would changing my diet in this way make this infection clear up so fast?

Well, it could be you are improving your immune system as Geoff stated.

Alternatively, do you have periodontitis? Last year I was diagnosed with it by my dentist. It's when deep gum pockets form around your tooth, from the gums basically pulling away from the teeth. Food and bacteria can get trapped in these pockets and fester. Sometimes this is the cause of a gum abscess. A dentist isn't equipped to deal with this and will refer you to a periodontist. This problem is caused by a poor diet and subsequent poor oral hygiene. 

However, when you eat carnivore, or mostly carnivore, or meat-based keto/ketovore like you describe, you are doing your mouth a favor. You are no longer eating sugar and things that immediately turn to sugar (like bread and grain) which that oral bacteria love. You may have heard that fossils of humans before the advent of agriculture have perfect teeth, and fossils of humans post agriculture have missing teeth, cavities, smaller jaws, etc. 

So it could be that you are eating healthier and less of the bad stuff that the bacteria thrive on, so the quantity of that bacteria is much lower, and therefore easier for your body to fight off. You may have bolstered your immune system by eating right also, and it may be a combination of both these things.

Of course, we're just taking an educated guess here. But I'm glad to hear you are experiencing some benefits of your healthy choices. 🙂 

I'm thinking the same thing, that this diet is making me healthier and able to heal faster.  My daughter got really sick recently.  Chills, fever, not being able to eat.  Coughing, sore throat.  Then she gave it to her dad and step mom.  A week later, her brother came down with it.  It's had no effect on me whatsoever.

Recently I've been working on laying tile and painting my mom's place.  As I was getting up last week, I pulled something in my back.  I could barely walk.  I thought it would likely take a long time to heal, but it ended up healing in about 4 days.  I'm thinking that my diet is making me healthier.  But, I'm not sure.

The only thing worrying me is I seem to have a lot more bruises than usual.  I'm not sure what that's about.

4 hours ago, Sherry said:

The only thing worrying me is I seem to have a lot more bruises than usual.  I'm not sure what that's about.

Maybe it’s because now you’re feeling better you have become more physically active and motivated and don’t notice minor bumps when doing things. I’m like this, I get so focused on getting things done I hardly notice if I hurt myself until later. 
There’s also a possibility it’s vitamin C deficiency, that can make you bruise more easily.

I bruise easily but that’s because I’m old. I’ve had what I call old man’s skin for quite awhile now. Carnivore hasn’t done anything to reverse it

On 1/13/2024 at 8:23 PM, Sherry said:

I've been working on laying tile

Oh, that's my trade, and my day job. I am a self-employed tile setter.

On 1/14/2024 at 6:47 AM, Sherry said:

I've also heard that it could be Vitamin K as well.

I am down to just taking D, K, Magnesium, and Niacin at the moment, for other reasons unrelated to bruising (bone health, cramps, and lipids).

21 hours ago, Geezy said:

I bruise easily but that’s because I’m old. I’ve had what I call old man’s skin for quite awhile now. Carnivore hasn’t done anything to reverse it

20 hours ago, Sherry said:

Yeah, maybe that's what it is.  I'm 55. 

Ya'll scaring me now, I just turned 48 😛

Ya'll scaring me now, I just turned 48

It’s coming Bob. My skin is very thin and my wife is always pointing out that I’m bleeding again. I’m constantly bumping something or scratching myself on something (you really don’t want to see me after working on a barbed wire fence). I’ll be bleeding and don’t even know I’m injured because I don’t feel it.
It also doesn’t help that I take an aspirin everyday to help thin my blood.

22 hours ago, Bob said:

Oh, that's my trade, and my day job. I am a self-employed tile setter.

I am down to just taking D, K, Magnesium, and Niacin at the moment, for other reasons unrelated to bruising (bone health, cramps, and lipids).

Ya'll scaring me now, I just turned 48 😛

We are of the same age my friend, and I am equally scared lol 

On 1/13/2024 at 8:23 PM, Sherry said:

I'm thinking the same thing, that this diet is making me healthier and able to heal faster.  My daughter got really sick recently.  Chills, fever, not being able to eat.  Coughing, sore throat.  Then she gave it to her dad and step mom.  A week later, her brother came down with it.  It's had no effect on me whatsoever.

Recently I've been working on laying tile and painting my mom's place.  As I was getting up last week, I pulled something in my back.  I could barely walk.  I thought it would likely take a long time to heal, but it ended up healing in about 4 days.  I'm thinking that my diet is making me healthier.  But, I'm not sure.

Try to remember if those bruises had any cause. Also the location of those bruises are important. Obviously on the knee or elbow, most likely we bumped into something. But on the trunk, or face, where you'd remember hitting something, that is when you wanna visit a doctor. 

50 minutes ago, Orweller said:

Try to remember if those bruises had any cause. Also the location of those bruises are important. Obviously on the knee or elbow, most likely we bumped into something. But on the trunk, or face, where you'd remember hitting something, that is when you wanna visit a doctor. 

It's mostly on my legs and also one on my arm.  I have been working a physical job when they started popping up, so I'm thinking it's probably nothing.

1 hour ago, Sherry said:

It's mostly on my legs and also one on my arm.  I have been working a physical job when they started popping up, so I'm thinking it's probably nothing.

That sounds already a lot less serious now. 

Edited by Orweller