• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Just some musings I had today.

A personal perspective on cravings, desires & memories.

Craving,

an intense, urgent, or abnormal desire or longing.

Desire,

impulse toward something that promises enjoyment or satisfaction in its attainment.

Something longed or hoped for : something desired.

To feel the loss of

When I became a carnivore my mindset was that I would not fail. Nothing could trip me up. The foundation of that attitude was instilled in me by my career military father who served in three wars and was the the strongest, fairest and toughest man I’ve ever known. Upon that foundation the US Army Infantry fortified that no quit attitude into something rock solid.

Not only will I not fail, I cannot fail.

Your mindset is what carries you through thick and thin.

68 years ago I stopped using tobacco. I had dipped snuff for 33 years. I dipped one can of Copenhagen snuff a day. That’s the nicotine equivalent to 60 cigarettes a day. To say I was addicted would be an understatement. Ci made myself a promise that I would quit when I turned fifty and that I did. My mindset was that I could not fail.

I’ve never been a drug user but it’s been said that the withdrawals from a snuff addiction is comparable to a cocaine addiction. It didn’t matter how tough it was, I could not fail. I knew that is I ever allowed tobacco in any form to touch my lips I’d never be able to quit again. The cravings were strong but they only lasted about two or three weeks. But to be honest, it took ten years or so for the desire to abate.

The craving is nearly uncontrollable and says I’d kill for just one more taste. It’s viscous and brutal but the desire is subtle and inviting. Very coy and dangerous as the Sirens to Odysseus she entices you with past memories of pleasure.

18 years later I have not failed. I am free of tobacco. Even the Sirens do not tempt me anymore.

I can equate the addiction to carbohydrates as being no different.

The cravings can be unbearable at times but they can be overcome. They can be defeated but the mindset must be that of one who cannot fail.

I find that the cravings are easier to defeat than the desires. The cravings last for a short time but the desires can last for years fueled by the memories of long past pleasures.

Identify what it is you are feeling in yourself. Is it actually a craving, that gnawing feeling clawing at your insides saying if you don’t give in you’re going to destroy something?

Or is it that Siren of Odysseus calling to you to relieve that past pleasure?

That feeling of loss in your life?

The mindset to defeat the craving is that if I cannot lose. I will not be defeated. Nothing can stop me. It takes grit and determination.

The mindset to overcome the desire is one of patience. Not the passive patience that says: “This is boring. Nothing good happens to me. This is too hard. The world owes this to me. There’s nothing to be excited about. I’m helpless.”

But active patience that says: “It’s ok to slow down. What are my values and goals? What’s the next step right in front of me that I can take to get me closer to my values and goals? There is no reason to give up. Timing is out of my control, but when I let go of helplessness, the process itself is splendid.”

It is then easy to push that desire aside and fondly remember that memory of bygone pleasures without fear of giving in to the Siren.

KCCO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gave up cigars about twelve years ago. My cat thought I was purring at night and I had to stop to catch my breath just walking up the boat ramp. Still to this day I get the urge every time I watch an old Clint Eastwood western. 🙂  I do dip some. A can lasts a week, I spect. I buy the tubs and it's sposta be equal to twelve cans. Lasts me a good three months. I had a cold/flu/etc back about seven weeks ago. I went caffeine and nicotine free for about a week. I'm still caffeine free. Which kinda sucks cause I got about two pounds of coffee beans. 🙂 I figure I'll give up the dip one of these days, when the time seems right.  

On 4/22/2024 at 10:13 PM, Geezy said:

Not only will I not fail, I cannot fail.

Your mindset is what carries you through thick and thin.

This is true. You often hear me say that I have made a vow never to eat grain or refined sugars ever again. I'm a person who takes my vows seriously. This fits into that mindset that you speak of.

I smoked from summer 1993 up until October 7th, 2000. I had entertained quitting a few times before, but I never had the mindset to do so. I was motivated to quit smoking for religious reasons and vowed never to touch a cigarette again. The first 3 days after stopping 'cold turkey' were brutal, and after 3 weeks I gained confidence. After 3 months, knew I could do this and not renege. Cigarettes still smelled delicious until after 3 years, and now I can't stand them. 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months, and 3 years were the recognizable milestones.

Sugar and carb withdrawal follows a similar pattern when you quit cold turkey. Cravings are killer for the first 3 days. After 3 weeks, you're like "okay, I got this". Then after 3 months, it's like why stop now? 🙂 Hopefully in 3 years I will be completely healed.

3, 3, 3, & 3 😉