• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Off the top of my head, I said YES! The first three or four weeks or so as I stocked up and looking for deals the grocery bill definitely went up. With the ever-increasing price of meat these days one would be hard press to say it is 'cheaper'. Again, this is my personal experience, so it may just apply to me.

A Mountain Dew in our area is $2.50 thereabouts and a Little Debbie cake is around $1. I was at three or four Dews per day, two Little Debbie snack cakes and whatever fast food joint I hit for breakfast, maybe another $7-8. 

Four Dews at $10, two cakes at $2 and a breakfast combo for $7-$8. That is nearly $20 a day I am not spending. If I get really critical I can minus the drink mixers which work out to a dollar a day. I didn't eat breakfast like that every day, but it was close. For ballpark math I will say 15 days out of the month. $10 a day on drinks and snacks is nearly $300month another $120 in fast food. I mentioned before I was 306 on a dumpster diet. That works out to ballpark math of around $400 a month to spend on meats.

Four hundred added to the not having to buy vegetables and sauces and deserts and soft drinks........

It might be cheaper. 

Again, I am new and only five weeks or so in, so all this is new to me. Maybe the carnivore diet is clearing some of the brain fog or maybe I am just cheap as crap and can see where the dollars go. Not sure. 

Scott

I wish I could get my whole family on it. It would certainly be cheaper if I could avoid the bread and produce aisles.

This might be TMI but I don't need to use as much TP on carnivore. Also need to factor in if you take pain meds if those have ceased. I have quit regular coffee, so we spend half on that. I do use expensive instant decaf but I drink less than I did regular coffee. We have been getting free eggs from friends so that has helped keep grocery bill down as well. 

I've been saving a lot of money since on carnivore. 

No more buying crackers, cookies, chips, canned beans, granola bars, heaps of vegetables, brownie mix, bread, etc, etc. I look for discounted meat and freeze it. 

And @MirandaI too, save on toilet paper. And we all know toilet paper will become our next currency, as been tested during the covid times 😆

No, I am certain that for me, this diet has been much cheaper. No snacking here and there, not running in a gas station for a candy bar. It's not even close. You do NOT need the expensive meat either. 

No doubts. I ground up about ten pounds of chuck Tuesday and then ground up beef fat with it. It stretched the four pounds way out in burger patties.

I feel like I am saving money eating this way. My snack and fast-food tab was steep so just cutting that out has made the carnivore meats 'cheaper'. I also would think the entire household on the same diet would reduce costs as well. 

I also have noticed the lack of TP usage as of late as well. 

Going to Sam's tomorrow and our local butcher tomorrow morning. I'm gonna stock up on some of the 'lesser' meats for grinding. Then kick off the weekend with a big ol' honking rib eye. Sort of recognizing the small wins. LOL

Scott

I had this very conversation with my son in law the other day. I explained to him that when you eliminate all the crap food you were buying it frees up money for meat and on top of that, we don’t eat as much. I generally only eat one meal a day.
But with that being said, all of that goes out the window if as Miranda said everyone in the household isn’t on board with it.
I’m extremely fortunate in that I raise or hunt most of the meat I hunt and while it is cheaper than buying in the store it still ain’t cheap between buying feed, processing costs, hunting fees and lease fees.
My biggest advantage is the quality of the meat and knowing where it comes from.
And if you think your beef is expensive per pound you’d really hate to know what my venison costs per pound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm definitely saving money on this way of eating. Around here, eggs are cheap and ground beef is reasonable. They are satiating and so I am not snacking all day long on process junk that just keep fueling my hunger. I use a lot less TP also from a roll a day when I had ulcerative colitis to just a few squares a few times a week. Quitting coffee has saved me tons.

Mind you, before this, I was all about the convenience. Hitting up Starbucks in the morning, fast food for lunch, and dining out at dinner were regular features of mine several days a week. Now I only occasionally do any of that. Truthfully, just learning to cook at home, regardless of what diet you are doing, will save you some cash.

22 hours ago, Bob said:

I'm definitely saving money on this way of eating. Around here, eggs are cheap and ground beef is reasonable. They are satiating and so I am not snacking all day long on process junk that just keep fueling my hunger. I use a lot less TP also from a roll a day when I had ulcerative colitis to just a few squares a few times a week. Quitting coffee has saved me tons.

Mind you, before this, I was all about the convenience. Hitting up Starbucks in the morning, fast food for lunch, and dining out at dinner were regular features of mine several days a week. Now I only occasionally do any of that. Truthfully, just learning to cook at home, regardless of what diet you are doing, will save you some cash.

With the food prices as they are this is the perfect time to rid oneself of junk food. 

I've always made my own coffee at home. 

Why did you quit coffee? 

I work with a guy that hunts like a mad man, then him and another couple at the plant fish just about year around for whatever is biting. 

He is doing a modified carnivore diet as he phases out non-meat groups while he and his fiancé figure out a together plan. She is not eating this way. He made the same comment that he could save money because the deer meat and the fish are free. I guess the rationale is if you are going to hunt and fish anyway, then the meat is sort of the bonus. He is not hunting the racks so I guess there is some bonus in there somewhere. He just bought a $1400 shotgun and recently paid a couple thousand for a night vision scope to kill coyotes. At some point grocery store hamburger is just cheaper. LOL 

I think everything is relative. 

I was shocked that I was spending four hundred a month on the crap I was eating as I am out and about during the day as well as to and from work. 

I'm thinking by eliminating the crap, saving four hundred $$ I can ease off the bo-bo meat section and shop in the prime and select sections. LOL

S

11 hours ago, Orweller said:

Why did you quit coffee? 

I quite coffee out of desperation in summer 2019. The medical insurance I elected in January of that year REFUSED to pay for my ulcerative colitis meds, which without insurance costs around $2000 USD/mo. So I stopped taking them. By the time March came around I knew I was in trouble because the symptoms started returning. My early May they were debilitating again. My previous doctor said it was not diet related and there was nothing I could do.

I started eliminating things from my diet anyway. And over time, as I was reading forums like this one that centered around IBS, IBD, Crohn's, and Colitis, I came across many people who talked about how coffee was a trigger. Well, I would drink and ENTIRE POT on the daily. So I decided to quit, cold turkey, since that was one thing I hadn't eliminated yet. 

And to my delight, my symptoms went away. I've remained prescription free since 2019.

I work with a guy that hunts like a mad man, then him and another couple at the plant fish just about year around for whatever is biting. 
He is doing a modified carnivore diet as he phases out non-meat groups while he and his fiancé figure out a together plan. She is not eating this way. He made the same comment that he could save money because the deer meat and the fish are free. I guess the rationale is if you are going to hunt and fish anyway, then the meat is sort of the bonus. He is not hunting the racks so I guess there is some bonus in there somewhere. He just bought a $1400 shotgun and recently paid a couple thousand for a night vision scope to kill coyotes. At some point grocery store hamburger is just cheaper. LOL 
I think everything is relative. 
I was shocked that I was spending four hundred a month on the crap I was eating as I am out and about during the day as well as to and from work. 
I'm thinking by eliminating the crap, saving four hundred $$ I can ease off the bo-bo meat section and shop in the prime and select sections. LOL

S

Venison and fish are more expensive per pound than buying beef in the store. I’m a hunter and fisherman. Trust me, I know. The advantage we have is knowing where our food comes from and the quality in which it was handled. We also are able to stock up on it in large quantities.
But yeah, I don’t even want to know how much I’m spending per pound for my game food.

9 hours ago, Geezy said:

Venison and fish are more expensive per pound than buying beef in the store. I’m a hunter and fisherman. Trust me, I know. The advantage we have is knowing where our food comes from and the quality in which it was handled. We also are able to stock up on it in large quantities.
But yeah, I don’t even want to know how much I’m spending per pound for my game food.

And, you know the animal has not suffered -or at least, you have a say in it. While at the same time putting that money into conservation and balancing deer population. Eating game food makes you part of a much better ecological system, no meat factories, etc etc....  

10 hours ago, Bob said:

I quite coffee out of desperation in summer 2019. The medical insurance I elected in January of that year REFUSED to pay for my ulcerative colitis meds, which without insurance costs around $2000 USD/mo. So I stopped taking them. By the time March came around I knew I was in trouble because the symptoms started returning. My early May they were debilitating again. My previous doctor said it was not diet related and there was nothing I could do.

I started eliminating things from my diet anyway. And over time, as I was reading forums like this one that centered around IBS, IBD, Crohn's, and Colitis, I came across many people who talked about how coffee was a trigger. Well, I would drink and ENTIRE POT on the daily. So I decided to quit, cold turkey, since that was one thing I hadn't eliminated yet. 

And to my delight, my symptoms went away. I've remained prescription free since 2019.

I'll drink a cup for you this morning. One of my last vices btw.