• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

If you live in a developed country, you may have fluoride literally everywhere. There is fluoridated water, milk fluoridation, salt fluoridation, and fluoride in your toothpaste. In years past, this was heralded as one of the greatest achievements of the 20th century, because fluoride, a natural mineral that is abundant in nature, is associated with fewer dental cavities.

However, in recent years, fluoride and the practice of adding it to everything has come under fire, and now fluoride is hotly debated.

Personally, I don't pay much attention to it. I'm smart enough not to swallow my toothpaste, and while I use a water filter at home and sometimes drink bottled water while on the road, I never give any thought to it's flouride content. In short, I am not worried about fluoride toxicity in the slightest.

However, I do speak with those who take avoiding fluoride very seriously, being sure to not drink fluoridated water nor use fluoridated toothpaste.

I'm just curious, are you avoiding fluoride, or not giving it much thought like me?

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Henrywrites said:

At the moment, it seems that it is going to be pretty difficult to avoid it. I can't even say that I should stop using my toothpaste because it contains a little bit of fluoride. It doesn't work that way at all.

Well if you were concerned about fluoride, there are several fluoride-free toothpastes you could choose...

https://www.insider.com/guides/health/best-fluoride-free-toothpaste

And of course, there is the good ole traditional baking soda and peroxide method that people use to use for years and years.

• 4 months later...

Contrary to popular belief, Connett said, fluoride’s primary mechanism for preventing tooth decay is through topical contact with the outside of tooth enamel, not by ingesting it — a fact acknowledged by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in deposition footage shown in the documentary.

Decades of scientific research show that ingested fluoride has toxic effects on the human body and perhaps most importantly, that fluoride has neurotoxic effects on children.

The NTP is a federal research body within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). It studied the neurotoxic effects of fluoride for seven years before issuing its draft report in 2022, consisting of a literature review and a monograph.

“The reports say that the evidence consistently associates fluoride exposure with reduced IQ [in children],” Connett told Holland.

The draft was finally released under court order in March 2023, after top officials from HHS and CDC blocked the NTP from releasing it, according to emails obtained via Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests by the plaintiffs in the case.

With the draft report available for review, the second phase of the trial is set to begin Jan. 31 in San Francisco. A ruling is expected early this year.

The documentary shows a behind-the-scenes account of the political pressures that have been brought to bear — by HHS, the CDC, the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, the surgeon general’s office, the chief dental officer for the Public Health Service and by lobbying groups like the American Dental Association — to “weaken, delay or kill” the NTP report, the key document in the trial.

Clips from depositions show the EPA’s own expert witnesses conceded that fluoride is a neurotoxicant.

Yet, efforts to suppress the report continue. Today, almost two years after the NTP scientists said the report was finalized, the final draft has still not been published.

The film does a deep dive into the long history of suppression of the science on fluoride, beginning in the 1940s, when the Public Health Service was considering fluoridating water and studied potential health effects.

https://live.childrenshealthdefense.org/chd-tv/events/fluoride-on-trial-the-censored-science-on-fluoride-and-your-health/fluoride-on-trial/?utm_source=luminate&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=chdtv&utm_id=20240113&fbclid=IwAR2w1RRji-XCzWSKmbeDgU_yhkqqZxopYNEUMPhPhxQPUPo4Zdrt6rHuhJs

On 3/30/2024 at 11:58 PM, Goldy said:

fluoride’s primary mechanism for preventing tooth decay is through topical contact with the outside of tooth enamel, not by ingesting it — a fact acknowledged by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in deposition footage shown in the documentary.

Interesting. Then there is no need to fluoridate water then, as this implies it's basically ineffective and accomplishes nothing.

My son recently had a dentist appointment and was prescribed an "extra strength" toothpaste that is pharmacy only, not over the counter. The instructions were to brush and not rinse, but to go to bed with the toothpaste still sitting on the teeth. I questioned this and the dentist said that is how you are supposed to use flouride toothpaste or fluoridated mouth rinse.

I never heard of such a thing, and definitely makes me question how you can not help but to ingest some in your sleep this way. 

Weird!

Bob it is criminal in my mind that children should have this poison in their mouths and told not to rinse.
Fluoride is a highly toxic substance. Consider, for example, the poison warning that the FDA now requires on all fluoride toothpastes sold in the U.S. or the tens of millions of people throughout China and India who now suffer serious crippling bone diseases from drinking water with elevated levels of fluoride.

In terms of acute toxicity (i.e., the dose that can cause immediate toxic consequences), fluoride is more toxic than lead, but slightly less toxic than arsenic. This is why fluoride has long been used in rodenticides and pesticides to kill pests like rats and insects. It is also why accidents involving over-ingestion of fluoridated dental products–including fluoride gels, fluoride supplements, and fluoridated water–can cause serious poisoning incidents, including death.

The debate today, however, is not about fluoride’s acute toxicity, but its chronic toxicity (i.e., the dose of fluoride that if regularly consumed over an extended period of time can cause adverse effects).
https://fluoridealert.org/issues/health/

5 hours ago, Goldy said:

Bob it is criminal in my mind that children should have this poison in their mouths and told not to rinse.

My son is almost 18. But yes, I was sitting in the room - and if I recall his teeth were in pretty good shape. I can't remember the reason behind the prescription strength toothpaste. 

But apparently the proper method is to spit out as much toothpaste as possible without actually rinsing with water and we've all been doing it wrong, lol...

https://www.healthline.com/health/dental-and-oral-health/should-you-rinse-after-brushing-teeth

Of course, if you eat a proper diet and especially if you brush regularly, even with flouride free toothpaste, your mouth is going to be just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

if you read the back of toothpaste it says if ingested call poison control. what happens when your gum line takes all the flouride in and absorbed into lymph tissue shuttles it all around?

fluoride is a terrible halogen they tell us to take it. Hitler gave it to the jews in water. iodine is a good halogen they tell us not to take it it keeps you alive.

Dental fluorosis is plenty real I have a friend that's a dentist and naturopath you think he giving it to his kids?

Another reason is a radioactive waste isotope feeding us their trash again.  I'm just saying if it's that great don't force everyone to take it against their will so ramming it in stuff. 

I can pull sources if needed. did all of our teeth fall out 20k years ago? or did they get worse after flouride just like the life expectancy after 1910?

Edited by ImCharlieBruh

10 hours ago, ImCharlieBruh said:

did all of our teeth fall out 20k years ago? or did they get worse after flouride

Well, teeth got worse with the advent of agriculture, and then this ramped up during the industrial revolution as sugary snacks, sodas, and other processed junk food became the staple of the western diet. 

But yes, overexposure to fluoride can be a problem. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2024 at 6:12 PM, ImCharlieBruh said:

they also don't wanna tell you osteocytes and osteoblasts the same in your bones live in your teeth and they can and will repair themselves. With a few tricks

this. there is a book out there, written by a joe schmo, that speaks of reversing decay with cod liver. Sorry I can't recall the details.

On 4/13/2024 at 6:12 PM, ImCharlieBruh said:

they also don't wanna tell you osteocytes and osteoblasts the same in your bones live in your teeth and they can and will repair themselves. With a few tricks

10 hours ago, Miranda said:

this. there is a book out there, written by a joe schmo, that speaks of reversing decay with cod liver. Sorry I can't recall the details.

I've read that teeth can indeed heal. The line we are fed "tooth decay can't be reversed" is just another one of those things that modern medicine misleads us on.... sorta. Tooth decay cannot be reversed when following modern dietary patterns full of sugar and refined carbs.