• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

A lot of confusion about the food we are told to eat and how i feel after eating them

My father died of colon cancer in 2006 I am 51 now and am prone to get this, i been having regular colonoscopy since 34. Everything as been good each time.

I recently switch to a more Mediterranean base diet plan of eating, but its always the same, I just ate a bowl of oat bran, and some plain Greek yogurt and i am bloated silly.

But if i eat vegetable like broccoli, cauliflower, kale, spinach i am fine no bloat and i feel great, same as berries, pomegranate, kiwi fruits.

From reading this study its seems that the carnivore diet is not that bad

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8684475/

I know its an elimination diet from the start but from some of the food i eat i seem to have develop some allergies as i get older. Anything from milk product cottage cheese oats does it for me.

Seems that those foods that all the medical community tells me to eat more of are not too good for me in the long run, I still have a lot of weight to lose too.

9 hours ago, kayfab said:

i been having regular colonoscopy since 34.

Same here, due to the ulcerative colitis that I previously had (but has resolved with carnivore and quitting coffee).

I recently switch to a more Mediterranean base diet plan of eating, but its always the same, I just ate a bowl of oat bran, and some plain Greek yogurt and i am bloated silly.

But if i eat vegetable like broccoli, cauliflower, kale, spinach i am fine no bloat and i feel great, same as berries, pomegranate, kiwi fruits.

It's the grain. In the Carnivore <- Keto -> Animal-based spectrum, we all want to avoid grasses of any kind. No grains, no refined sugar, and no seed oils.

If you are going to eat plants, stick with keto friendly options if you are trying to lose weight or manage blood sugar levels, and then fruits are a safe option if you are currently metabolically healthy.

From reading this study its seems that the carnivore diet is not that bad

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8684475/

I know its an elimination diet from the start but from some of the food i eat i seem to have develop some allergies as i get older. Anything from milk product cottage cheese oats does it for me.

We're strong proponents/advocates of the carnivore diet, meat-based keto, and animal-based diets here. Most of us are strict carnivore or mostly carnivore and have had fantastic results. Since you have weight to lose, we recommend you eat as low carb as possible, more towards the carnivore/ketovore end of the spectrum. 

Definitely stay away from the oats. You will have to test if you are lactose intolerant (milk sugar/carbs) or if you are sensitive to the milk proteins. If you can have butter or hard cheeses and do just fine, it's probably the lactose that is upsetting you.

Welcome aboard!

:welcome:

Welcome kafab.
You are wise to be suspicious of the foods that traditional medicine recommends. We as carnivores as well as the many carnivore doctors and studies have proven that the majority of what those doctors recommend is junk science and just blatantly false. Doctors have no training in nutrition and are just repeating what they’ve been told to say from their Standard of Care doctrine that was established by Big Pharma and Big AG.
I personally find absolutely no merits in the so called Mediterranean Diet. It, like the Diet Heart Hypothesis, was just something that was made up by cherry picking through epidemiological studies and surveys to produce what one groups agenda. I have lived in the Mediterranean (Greece and Turkey) and my experience showed that they ate a high fat, high protein diet. Meat was the major food item. There were vegetables, nuts, fruits, alcohol but they all centered around meat. Mostly lamb or pork. I will say this though, they do have fantastic olive oil. At the market there would be these huge vats of different kinds of olive oils and you would bring your own container and with that pick whatever you wanted or even make you own blend.
I believe that if you were to transition over to a carnivore diet you may be surprised by the results you get.
Immerse yourself into the community. Watch videos from the carnivore doctors and influencers. Learn how to do this properly and get in the right mindset that you want to become metabolically healthy and I believe you’ll do fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Geezy said:

Welcome kafab.
You are wise to be suspicious of the foods that traditional medicine recommends. We as carnivores as well as the many carnivore doctors and studies have proven that the majority of what those doctors recommend is junk science and just blatantly false. Doctors have no training in nutrition and are just repeating what they’ve been told to say from their Standard of Care doctrine that was established by Big Pharma and Big AG.
I personally find absolutely no merits in the so called Mediterranean Diet. It, like the Diet Heart Hypothesis, was just something that was made up by cherry picking through epidemiological studies and surveys to produce what one groups agenda. I have lived in the Mediterranean (Greece and Turkey) and my experience showed that they ate a high fat, high protein diet. Meat was the major food item. There were vegetables, nuts, fruits, alcohol but they all centered around meat. Mostly lamb or pork. I will say this though, they do have fantastic olive oil. At the market there would be these huge vats of different kinds of olive oils and you would bring your own container and with that pick whatever you wanted or even make you own blend.
I believe that if you were to transition over to a carnivore diet you may be surprised by the results you get.
Immerse yourself into the community. Watch videos from the carnivore doctors and influencers. Learn how to do this properly and get in the right mindset that you want to become metabolically healthy and I believe you’ll do fine.

Its a disgrace that the medical community does not in fact have any nutritional training. My grand mother died at 98 her old doctor before she passed was a pill pusher all he gave her was pills that made her feel even worse. When that idiot retired she got a younger doctor that remove all her pills except the ones she really needed. She was so confused because she had more energy at her age she was 92 at that time and even more confused that she was feeling like crap most of the time while on those massif dosage of pills her other doctor gave her.

A coworker has asked me to help her make meal plan to loose weight. I am at a loss because she is telling me the doctors have said  No fat or salt. Thankfully she is trying to eliminate processed foods and sugar.  I told her that,  sadly the medical community doesn't know diddly about nutrition and she is going to be miserable eating low carb and low fat. We are the same age, and she has liver disease, but won't tell me specifically what her diagnosis is. I feel unsure about being adamant of going against doctors orders. 

28 minutes ago, Miranda said:

A coworker has asked me to help her make meal plan to loose weight. I am at a loss because she is telling me the doctors have said  No fat or salt. Thankfully she is trying to eliminate processed foods and sugar.  I told her that,  sadly the medical community doesn't know diddly about nutrition and she is going to be miserable eating low carb and low fat. We are the same age, and she has liver disease, but won't tell me specifically what her diagnosis is. I feel unsure about being adamant of going against doctors orders. 

I don't get involved in things like this anymore I started weight training at 13 and am now 51 i do eat junk and i am not going to hide and say no no.

There is a guy at my job who is obese he has a big gut and as been diagnose with none alcoholic fatty liver disease, he is 58 but as the maturity of a 12y old child, and he always eat junk and worse never exercise. Those people sadly are a lost cause. He came to me for help but I told him to go see a dietician that is specialize in liver issues I surely am not.

Weight loss is nothing more than calorie in calorie out on any plan, now if that women does in deed cut out junk food and process food its going to be a big plus for her, depending on the damage of the liver most people can heal from NAFLD just by losing weight and that visceral fat around the organs and stomach. 

Weight training helps because when you build muscle mass you burn a lot more calories, cardio is also good to pump up the heart. Of course if should would make the jump to carnivore or keto she would lose more, water weight but as time goes by fat and weight loss, keeping insulin level low, and using ketones for energy. 

But to each is own lots of people can't even stick to a well planed keto diet. A guy at my job is high on keto loses 25 pounds then 6 months later gains it back and more due to junk food eating. 

The best is to follow a plan that is good for you, carnivore is amazing because most people are gluten or lactose intolerant so carnivore and keto are elimination diets.

So help her the way she wants. It’s her health and if she chooses to abide by her doctors orders then honor her wishes. You can advise her in the proper human diet and you can give her the resources to teach her real nutrition but in the end it’s still her decision.
We are elderly advocates. We care for four elderly people helping them with their property, grocery shopping, doctor appointments and medication. One of those elderly eats horribly and is In extremely bad metabolic health. She’s on more medication than I can count and is constantly having to go to doctors and having tests run. She’s always in pain. Can barely walk and is always miserable. She’s actually eating herself to death. I have talked to her but she chooses the pleasure of her junk food over her health and feeling good.
It breaks my heart to see her self eliminating with food but it’s her choice.

We are on our own. Make the best choices for yourself, that is all you can do. It's a shameful state of affairs, but here we are. 

Only you have the best interest for yourself in mind, nobody else, no government, no insurance company, medical entity, etc. That maybe perceived as a cynical view, but it's based on factual observation. Why is obesity on the rise? And what about cancer? Metabolic syndrome? Mental issues? Aren't we supposed to have evolved in our modern society? All that knowledge we gained? 

9 hours ago, Geezy said:

So help her the way she wants. It’s her health and if she chooses to abide by her doctors orders then honor her wishes. You can advise her in the proper human diet and you can give her the resources to teach her real nutrition but in the end it’s still her decision.
We are elderly advocates. We care for four elderly people helping them with their property, grocery shopping, doctor appointments and medication. One of those elderly eats horribly and is In extremely bad metabolic health. She’s on more medication than I can count and is constantly having to go to doctors and having tests run. She’s always in pain. Can barely walk and is always miserable. She’s actually eating herself to death. I have talked to her but she chooses the pleasure of her junk food over her health and feeling good.

Yes, I sent her a couple of Dr Ken Berry videos and she was grateful. Hopefully that shifted algorithms.

11 hours ago, Geezy said:

she chooses the pleasure of her junk food over her health and feeling good. This is exactly what 99% of all people do, I am 51 and still lifting weights i do eat junk sometimes but now i stop ordering at work, buying stuff in the machines (you know the junk in there chips chocolate and more) and take outs.

Lot of people at my job also try to bring me into there world, they are obese, they take insane amount of medication and they tell me that at my age i have nothing to prove, enjoy life if your clothes don't fit anymore buy bigger ones. Its hard to have pity when people try to discourage you like that and to be honest it motivates me even more to train harder and eat right. 

1 hour ago, Miranda said:

Yes, I sent her a couple of Dr Ken Berry videos and she was grateful. Hopefully that shifted algorithms.

You can bring the horse to the water but you can't force him to drink goes the old expression. She doesn't have to go cold turkey on this, just cutting out sugar and junk, those sugary soda coke pepsi will be a great start. If she does not want to go carnivore she can still go keto. There are actually a tone of recipes on the keto diet that taste insanely good, i got the keto pita 10g of fiber 1g net carb you can make amazing pizza and you get your fiber, veggie soup with keto friendly vegetable and mix berry smoothies. But she can't get on a diet its changing eating habits. When you start eating right and you see your health change, more energy etc its encouraging to continue doing what you do.

3 hours ago, kayfab said:

she chooses the pleasure of her junk food over her health and feeling good. This is exactly what 99% of all people do, I am 51 and still lifting weights i do eat junk sometimes but now i stop ordering at work, buying stuff in the machines (you know the junk in there chips chocolate and more) and take outs.

Lot of people at my job also try to bring me into there world, they are obese, they take insane amount of medication and they tell me that at my age i have nothing to prove, enjoy life if your clothes don't fit anymore buy bigger ones. Its hard to have pity when people try to discourage you like that and to be honest it motivates me even more to train harder and eat right. 

Exactly this. At 48 I lift as well, for a good 16 years now. People have to understand that input is output, what you give is what you get. You have to sacrifice something. But most of us are conditioned for the immediate reward, and we get adjusted to over indulgence. Even if not carnivore, or keto, or even Atkins, or low carb, at least eat healthy.  

They are jealous and perceive you as a threat. They want you to join their flock so they can be comfortable with having everyone being of the same species. You are a predator that they fear because you are different. I raise a few animals and I see this in their behavior. If you put a totally harmless bunny rabbit in a chicken pen the chickens will kill it because it’s not the same as them.
Be proud to be a predator/carnivore and to stand apart from the norm.
Be a Positive Deviant.

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

They are jealous and perceive you as a threat. They want you to join their flock so they can be comfortable with having everyone being of the same species. You are a predator that they fear because you are different. I raise a few animals and I see this in their behavior. If you put a totally harmless bunny rabbit in a chicken pen the chickens will kill it because it’s not the same as them.
Be proud to be a predator/carnivore and to stand apart from the norm.
Be a Positive Deviant.

Spot on but i do tell them to there face. 

I am a shift worker I work 3 nights per week 12h shifts, the women I work with is 58 years old she has bad arthritis, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol issues, she is also a smoker and she as at least 50 pounds of weight in extra.

At 23h30pm her phone rings and its the pill festival parade, its insane the amount of medication she takes. Then she tells me that she enjoys life and eats what she wants, and that at my age at 51 I have nothing to prove to anyone having big muscles and watching what I eat, she loves to try and manipulate me (without success) to order junk food and get aggravated when I tell her NO. 

Those people do not understand what passion means, I lifted my first weight at 13 years old a weider bench press at Eaton, my grand father god bless this incredible man that i love and gone too soon bough me my first set and also my first gym membership at 16.

Yes i lifted weights at first to get bigger because i was bullied a lot as a young man and teenager, but those people paid the price when i got bigger and got a chance to meet then again quit funny when the table are turned around.

But my passion for lifting weights never went away, even at 51 if i miss a workout i feel bad, i love to train of course i don't powerlift anymore, i been injured a few times but Monday is my heavy day 4 sets of 5 reps, Wednesday is relax joint day so its 4 sets of 12reps and more and Friday its a standards 8-10 reps training. I switch to full body 1 exercise per muscle and its starting to show, i use creatine and that's it.

Sadly the women i work with is a model of 99% of all people, people who tell me that at my age i should not be able to do what i do, or that i won't lose the fat i gained in the last 5 years (entirely my fault on this one eating junk) or other stupidities like that. 

I just love to laugh at them and tell them its not because you look atrocious and finish at your age that i have to follow your standard. I guess over the years the remarks like this and all the mean things people have been telling me i have grown to hate most people and see them for what they really are. 

On 3/30/2024 at 3:49 PM, Miranda said:

No fat or salt. Thankfully she is trying to eliminate processed foods and sugar. 
I feel unsure about being adamant of going against doctors orders. 

That's a start. If she can at least eat all natural whole foods, she will be starting off on the right foot. As time goes on and she adjusts, she can learn about what other things she may, or may not, want to cut out.

Regarding fat and salt, we know that we thrive on fat and have no problems salting to taste. It might be worth pointing out that by cutting out processed food, she is actually reducing her sodium intake. There is so much sodium in processed junk. When you eliminate the junk, you can salt to taste and probably still not be ingesting as much sodium as you used to when you ate the standard American diet.

And with fat, much of the fat we got in processed foods were harmful fats in the form of seed oils. We simply swap unhealthy seed oils for healthy animals fats like butter, tallow, and ghee (and coconut oil, olive oil, and avocado oil are acceptable as well).

19 minutes ago, Bob said:

That's a start. If she can at least eat all natural whole foods, she will be starting off on the right foot. As time goes on and she adjusts, she can learn about what other things she may, or may not, want to cut out.

Regarding fat and salt, we know that we thrive on fat and have no problems salting to taste. It might be worth pointing out that by cutting out processed food, she is actually reducing her sodium intake. There is so much sodium in processed junk. When you eliminate the junk, you can salt to taste and probably still not be ingesting as much sodium as you used to when you ate the standard American diet.

And with fat, much of the fat we got in processed foods were harmful fats in the form of seed oils. We simply swap unhealthy seed oils for healthy animals fats like butter, tallow, and ghee (and coconut oil, olive oil, and avocado oil are acceptable as well).

These are really good points!