• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

🤔 What Are Your Thoughts On Grounding? 🤔

There is a good amount of scientific research being done on the effects of grounding yourself to the earth. 

Here are a few of the purported effects:

Increased wound healing.

An immediate drop in blood pressure. 

It's really quite fascinating stuff. 

Here's a video by Bart Kay who explains it in 5 minutes and more clearly than I ever could: 

Currently working on the carnivore club blog.

I’ll need to read up on it but to be honest it just seems like snake oil, imaginative therapy to me. I see were several people swear by it but I just don’t know if it’s a valid concept or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDK about the grounding devices, but my kid loves to be barefoot and I like to walk in the the grass barefoot. When I think to sprint I take my shoes off. Different subject, but I feel the Spectra 479 glasses are well worth the $30. For helping with sleep hygiene.

Edited by Miranda
Remove the Popeye ism

Geezy, I'm sure you've heard as well as I from folks that garden. How much better they feel when they get some "dirt time" in. They all perty much say they feel so much better after sinking their hands and/or feet in the dirt. I spect it's kinda the same deal .

On a side note. The Earth is electric. And all them Coronal mass ejections we been getting from the sun are charged particles. I spose it's gotta go somewhere. 

Geezy, I'm sure you've heard as well as I from folks that garden. How much better they feel when they get some "dirt time" in. They all perty much say they feel so much better after sinking their hands and/or feet in the dirt. I spect it's kinda the same deal .
On a side note. The Earth is electric. And all them Coronal mass ejections we been getting from the sun are charged particles. I spose it's gotta go somewhere. 

Yeah I suppose there could be something to it but when I kept a garden all I experienced was a sore back.

My young neighbors asked me to help them with their garden this year. I told em up front I ain't doin no weeding. Just plan on mulching around everything. I didn't care i they mowed between the rows. But I ain't weeding. And from the looks of their past garden plots, neither did they. 😄

On 5/13/2024 at 6:43 PM, Geezy said:

I’ll need to read up on it but to be honest it just seems like snake oil, imaginative therapy to me. I see were several people swear by it but I just don’t know if it’s a valid concept or not.

I thought it was hippie pseudo-science when I first heard about it if I'm honest but then again when I first heard of carnivore I thought the same thing.

It seems to be a real thing with some decent science behind it, such as: 

"The effects of grounding (earthing) on inflammation, the immune response, wound healing, and prevention and treatment of chronic inflammatory and autoimmune diseases" https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4378297/

I was so amazed by what I read there that I just had to make a mini post here and on my blog about it. 

Their hypothesis: "Our main hypothesis is that connecting the body to the Earth enables free electrons from the Earth’s surface to spread over and into the body, where they can have antioxidant effects. Specifically, we suggest that mobile electrons create an antioxidant microenvironment around the injury repair field, slowing or preventing reactive oxygen species (ROS) delivered by the oxidative burst from causing “collateral damage” to healthy tissue, and preventing or reducing the formation of the so-called “inflammatory barricade”

There seems to be plenty of other scientific research done around it as well, not just that one study.

It seems to be a... a GROUND-breaking field :).

I haven't investigated or researched this thoroughly, but I have heard a lot of people talk about the benefits of grounding, from Bart Kay to Paul Saladino, and more. Now that the weather is nicer, I have gone outside to stand barefoot in the lawn a few times. I need to think about and do this more often. 

EDIT:

After reading the article in your blog post, I probably need to spend more than a few minutes at a time barefoot. The subject in your article grounded for 30 minutes daily. 

I guess the difference between being skeptical of carnivore and grounding is that I can see and understand how carnivore works. I can only hear what people claim about grounding. Kinda difficult to see anything physical going on.
I suppose the only way to find out would be to try it oneself but my feet are tender because I don’t ever go barefooted and there is no way I’m walking around for any length of time without something on my feet.
I’m allergic to tetanus shots and I cannot afford to have something stick me in my feet.

I had a thought earlier. I love summer. I feel better in summer. I'm also hanging out in my backyard in the pool and regularly barefoot on the ground too. Sun in the sky, wind on my face, feet on the ground. What's not to love? 😄

I love summer just because it’s warm. I’m from south Texas and I hate being cold all of the time in winter.
The only thing cold weather is good for is hunting.

I am certain that what I understand "grounding" to be works and is beneficial. I just have a hard time getting there. But when I am grounded it is amazing because most of the time I am ungrounded. I suspect lots of people never think about the concept. You do not have to be aware of the word and its meaning. It is one of those things where you feel it anyway. A lot of people a grounded most of the time and just identify the causes for feeling ungrounded using those words. The broad concept of "grounding" in and of itself is not a significant concept to be aware of to those people. Dealing with the momentary causes for becoming ungrounded suits them.

I met a woman who had the effect of grounding me. We made a very fast-paced connection and I felt like we had known and trusted one another for a long time. I had briefly interacted with her a few times but we had a chance to connect and time to talk a little riding in an elevator. I could tell she felt the same way. All the indications were evident. It is so rare for me to feel "grounded" I was immediately aware of her effect on me. I wish we could have sustained a friendship but circumstances dramatically changed preventing us from crossing paths and she moved away. 

Another memorable incident being grounded I had gone on a trip with a small group of people and experienced some emotionally moving events. I learned some things that were life changing. When I returned I felt very grounded because I had sort of aligned myself with my life's purpose.  As I was talking about the trip with another group of people I atypically had the crowd in the palm of my hand, so to speak. I am generally a lifetime shy person. I am arguably a good companion one on one. You are all I care about when it is just us. I listen and can really hear what you are saying (comprehend), etc. But is in larger gatherings where I have had a difficult time because I cannot widen my focus and interact with multiple people at once. I have a tendency to block others out when I speak to one in the group. It can be misinterpreted and it can be a problem for everyone so I avoid it. There is a way to address one person in a group and also include everyone else but I have not been able to do that well enough. However, in this case after returning from this life changing trip I had everyone's attention and my jokes had good timing. People commented that I seemed different and a couple said it was because I was grounded.

I worked graveyard for 10 years. I got by with very little rest. Initially I felt like I had the flu I was so tired after each shift. Then I acclimated. Eventually I would come alive when I got off work because it was morning and I could enjoy the whole day ahead. Sleep was a last minute inconvenience. I was a walking zombie though. One day after work I took a trip to the coast and when I walked barefoot on the sand I realized how disconnected I was living. It was like the physical world was a couple of rooms away all the time. It was a secluded stretch of coastline I had hiked to where I could observe seals. The only person I encountered was a park ranger in a hurry to get from one end to the other of this miles long beach. So I took a nap on the sand.

Edited by Another Meat Head

I am certain that what I understand "grounding" to be works and is beneficial. I just have a hard time getting there. But when I am grounded it is amazing because most of the time I am ungrounded. I suspect lots of people never think about the concept. You do not have to be aware of the word and its meaning. It is one of those things where you feel it anyway. A lot of people a grounded most of the time and just identify the causes for feeling ungrounded using those words. The broad concept of "grounding" in and of itself is not a significant concept to be aware of to those people. Dealing with the momentary causes for becoming ungrounded suits them.
I met a woman who had the effect of grounding me. We made a very fast-paced connection and I felt like we had known and trusted one another for a long time. I had briefly interacted with her a few times but we had a chance to connect and time to talk a little riding in an elevator. I could tell she felt the same way. All the indications were evident. It is so rare for me to feel "grounded" I was immediately aware of her effect on me. I wish we could have sustained a friendship but circumstances dramatically changed preventing us from crossing paths and she moved away. 
Another memorable incident being grounded I had gone on a trip with a small group of people and experienced some emotionally moving events. I learned some things that were life changing. When I returned I felt very grounded because I had sort of aligned myself with my life's purpose.  As I was talking about the trip with another group of people I atypically had the crowd in the palm of my hand, so to speak. I am generally a lifetime shy person. I am arguably a good companion one on one. You are all I care about when it is just us. I listen and can really hear what you are saying (comprehend), etc. But is in larger gatherings where I have had a difficult time because I cannot widen my focus and interact with multiple people at once. I have a tendency to block others out when I speak to one in the group. It can be misinterpreted and it can be a problem for everyone so I avoid it. There is a way to address one person in a group and also include everyone else but I have not been able to do that well enough. However, in this case after returning from this life changing trip I had everyone's attention and my jokes had good timing. People commented that I seemed different and a couple said it was because I was grounded.
I worked graveyard for 10 years. I got by with very little rest. Initially I felt like I had the flu I was so tired after each shift. Then I acclimated. Eventually I would come alive when I got off work because it was morning and I could enjoy the whole day ahead. Sleep was a last minute inconvenience. I was a walking zombie though. One day after work I took a trip to the coast and when I walked barefoot on the sand I realized how disconnected I was living. It was like the physical world was a couple of rooms away all the time. It was a secluded stretch of coastline I had hiked to where I could observe seals. The only person I encountered was a park ranger in a hurry to get from one end to the other of this miles long beach. So I took a nap on the sand.

I’m not sure that your grounding is the same as what we are talking about.

On 5/16/2024 at 2:04 PM, Bob said:

I haven't investigated or researched this thoroughly, but I have heard a lot of people talk about the benefits of grounding, from Bart Kay to Paul Saladino, and more. Now that the weather is nicer, I have gone outside to stand barefoot in the lawn a few times. I need to think about and do this more often. 

EDIT:

After reading the article in your blog post, I probably need to spend more than a few minutes at a time barefoot. The subject in your article grounded for 30 minutes daily. 

There needs to be more studies absolutely but from what the research is saying so far I'd say it's worth spending time grounded outside or via grounding mats etc. And the blog I wrote is only one study that I happened to stumble across and was amazed with what I was reading.

I bought a grounding mat and pillow case and so far it seems to have improved my sleep, but of course, it could be a placebo. n=1, after all :).

Professor Bart Kay mentions grounding, it's listed in his 5 health hack videos, and him being an authority puts more credence into the whole idea.

This site has tonnes of studies about grounding: https://earthinginstitute.net/research/ so that's me going off the deep end then lol.

Everything I’ve seen on grounding has been about actual touching the natural world around us. Mainly getting our bare feet in dirt and grass and getting our hands in the soil. I’ve read that touching anything artificial is not grounding so how could a mat and pillowcase be considered grounding?

9 hours ago, Geezy said:

Everything I’ve seen on grounding has been about actual touching the natural world around us. Mainly getting our bare feet in dirt and grass and getting our hands in the soil. I’ve read that touching anything artificial is not grounding so how could a mat and pillowcase be considered grounding?

If I recall correctly when Bart Kay was discussing it, their is basically a grounding wire that you run outside and to the ground. This acts as a conductor.

Same concept as standing on a rubber stool will protect you from electricity but if you stepped off the rubber stool onto the ground you would get fried.