• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Hi new here.  I started carnivore about 90 days ago.  I wasn't seeking weight loss as much as I was seeking the healing process.  Mind, stomach issues, bloat, inflammation, energy, and to be honest tired of counting calories.  I previously had been on a standard but very clean diet for about 15 years where I even saw body fat levels of 5-7%.  I was under eating for most of that while still training.  I still train roughly 5 days a week but just strength training.  

I am 5'10", and fluctuating right now between 163-167lbs.  This is just since starting the carnivore diet.  Typically I have been around 155-160lbs.  

When I first started carnivore 90 days ago I was not as knowledgeable about it and under eating.  Having three meals a day and counting my calories.  Probably for the first 30-45 days of it.  Now I am trying to eat 2lbs of meat a day.  

I take some magnesium and electrolytes as my only supplement.  

My meals look like this:

Breakfest

• 80/20 Ground Beef 12-14oz (cooked in tallow)
  • 4-6 whole eggs (cooked in butter)

Dinner

• 12-14oz Ribeye (topped with butter)
  • Either a 80/20 ground beef patty or 2-3 whole eggs.

My frustration has been that I am gaining weight both on the scale and visually.  For someone who has worked so hard at being trim, this is stressing me out.  I also have not noticed any of the health benefits. I have very low energy, and still the same brain fog.  The only benefit I can feel today is the fact I am not counting calories or measuring portions.  I have tried to trust this process but it is very difficult seeing weight come on.  

I am curious to know if this is typical and that my body still needs time?  I see online people eating way more than I do and dropping weight.  Any help and advice would be much appreciated.  

You feel like the extra weight is bloating? Make sure you use iodized salt. 
I usually go for fattier meat than 80/20, that may be the low energy issue, and don't be afraid to add a little carbs if you need to. A handful of dark chocolate or an ounce of carrots. This diet is not cookie cutter. 

Whether your body still needs time depends on your age. Working out 5 times a week, may also be an aspect, on this diet, your recovery times may be different. I switched from a week cycle, to a 10 cycle with regards to rest, etc. Then again, I am 49 so recovery is priority. Sometimes less is more. 

2 minutes ago, Orweller said:

You feel like the extra weight is bloating? Make sure you use iodized salt. 
I usually go for fattier meat than 80/20, that may be the low energy issue, and don't be afraid to add a little carbs if you need to. A handful of dark chocolate or an ounce of carrots. This diet is not cookie cutter. 

Whether your body still needs time depends on your age. Working out 5 times a week, may also be an aspect, on this diet, your recovery times may be different. I switched from a week cycle, to a 10 cycle with regards to rest, etc. Then again, I am 49 so recovery is priority. Sometimes less is more. 

definitely not bloating.  I visually see the fat coming on in the lower mid section of the stomach, and back.  I am up about 7lbs from 160-167.  I am putting butter and tallow on meats to have additional fat.  I was going to try cutting out the eggs and just having ground beef and butter for my first meal.  

the last few weeks I have reduced the workouts from 5-3 days a week.  Again no cardio just strength training and I am also in my 40s.

Again, I am 5'9, 135lbs. I eat a little over a pound of meat, the rest is eggs and cheese, I am guessing around 1600 to 1900 calories a day. 

There's so many things that can play a role here, even sleep. I think it is worth to stick it through and tweak as you go. 

24 minutes ago, Orweller said:

Again, I am 5'9, 135lbs. I eat a little over a pound of meat, the rest is eggs and cheese, I am guessing around 1600 to 1900 calories a day. 

There's so many things that can play a role here, even sleep. I think it is worth to stick it through and tweak as you go. 

Your definitely on the lower end of eating.

i thought the goal for me was to eat until full.  For me that’s a lot more meat.  About a pound per sitting and I am comfortable.  

Just spitballing here but with all of the protein and work outs could your weight gain be due to added muscle?
There are several people that use carnivore to put on muscle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like you have been over restricted with cico, for some time now and that will have ill effects on both hormones and metabolism. Low energy could be a number of things from thyroid to electrolyte imbalance. Here is a prescription from Dr Berry: eat when hungry till comfortably stuffed. Megadose Vitamin P (patience)

8 hours ago, Geezy said:

Just spitballing here but with all of the protein and work outs could your weight gain be due to added muscle?
There are several people that use carnivore to put on muscle.

I wish that was the case but I can visually see fat coming in my mid section.

47 minutes ago, Miranda said:

It sounds like you have been over restricted with cico, for some time now and that will have ill effects on both hormones and metabolism. Low energy could be a number of things from thyroid to electrolyte imbalance. Here is a prescription from Dr Berry: eat when hungry till comfortably stuffed. Megadose Vitamin P (patience)

Yes I am hopeful this is the case I used to workout extremely long and hard and totally under eat.  Think my body has been stressed for 10-15 years.  I have some of Dr Berrys mineral drops and I am eating till full.  Going to cut out the extras for now, butter and eggs and just stick to the meat, salt, and water.

43 minutes ago, Derrick said:

Yes I am hopeful this is the case I used to workout extremely long and hard and totally under eat.  Think my body has been stressed for 10-15 years.  I have some of Dr Berrys mineral drops and I am eating till full.  Going to cut out the extras for now, butter and eggs and just stick to the meat, salt, and water.

Have you had your testosterone tested? 

23 hours ago, Derrick said:

Your definitely on the lower end of eating.

i thought the goal for me was to eat until full.  For me that’s a lot more meat.  About a pound per sitting and I am comfortable.  

At my heaviest ever I was 155. I've never been a big eater, stopped going at fast food places some 8 years ago, and now when I see the price of a burger, I consider myself a rich man. 

2 minutes ago, Orweller said:

At my heaviest ever I was 155. I've never been a big eater, stopped going at fast food places some 8 years ago, and now when I see the price of a burger, I consider myself a rich man. 

I am probably just over 1lb per sitting and yesterday just started meat only.  Measured about 18oz of ground beef for breakfast, ribeye and two ground beef patty’s for dinner was nearly the same.  

I have put on about 7lbs 167.  I typically fluctuate from 155-160.  

4 minutes ago, Derrick said:

I am probably just over 1lb per sitting and yesterday just started meat only.  Measured about 18oz of ground beef for breakfast, ribeye and two ground beef patty’s for dinner was nearly the same.  

I have put on about 7lbs 167.  I typically fluctuate from 155-160.  

Consider also, water intake, sleep quality, and stress. There may be things at play outside of diet, that may be more pronounced with a carnivore style diet. 

5 minutes ago, Orweller said:

Consider also, water intake, sleep quality, and stress. There may be things at play outside of diet, that may be more pronounced with a carnivore style diet. 

I think my sleep has improved a bit but other factors not so much.  I used to have to take a CBD gummy to fall asleep and stay a sleep.  Now I do not but I do wake up at least once for bathroom.  However when I wake up I have been a lot more achy than in the past.  I also have 4 kids so being tired is just natural.

I'm the fat guy going calling you names in envy. LOL

I'm on the way down so there is a swing back and forth. I can see the difference in 33 lost pounds but have a long way to go.

It has been a long time since I had that issue, maybe the late 80's/early 90's coming out of dive school in Panama City.

One of the things I found back then is that I was really responsive to beef type protein. I leaned toward chicken and eggs with occasional fish (but of course I ate a ton of crap as well) but when we were cutting weight to make weight/body fat composition I got off beef altogether and was a chicken and fish for protein guy.

Maybe a switch up on proteins sources? Sort of guessing.

Scott

2 minutes ago, Scott F. said:

I'm the fat guy going calling you names in envy. LOL

I'm on the way down so there is a swing back and forth. I can see the difference in 33 lost pounds but have a long way to go.

It has been a long time since I had that issue, maybe the late 80's/early 90's coming out of dive school in Panama City.

One of the things I found back then is that I was really responsive to beef type protein. I leaned toward chicken and eggs with occasional fish (but of course I ate a ton of crap as well) but when we were cutting weight to make weight/body fat composition I got off beef altogether and was a chicken and fish for protein guy.

Maybe a switch up on proteins sources? Sort of guessing.

Scott

I am sure if I eat leaner protein then I won't have as much of a weight gain problem.  However I was hoping this diet was going to fix years of my under eating, energy, sleep, etc.  Unless I go all in and give it time I am basically back in the starvation mode for my body which I just can continue on anymore. 

On 6/18/2024 at 3:58 PM, Derrick said:

For someone who has worked so hard at being trim, this is stressing me out.

Dr. Berry often refers to the Proper Human Diet (which is a spectrum with carnivore on one end, and up to 100 carbs a day on the other end) as, not a weight loss diet, but a weight optimization diet. For 5'10", is it possible that you could stand to put on a few pounds?

On 6/18/2024 at 3:58 PM, Derrick said:

Now I am trying to eat 2lbs of meat a day.  

My meals look like this:

Breakfest

• 80/20 Ground Beef 12-14oz (cooked in tallow)
  • 4-6 whole eggs (cooked in butter)

Dinner

• 12-14oz Ribeye (topped with butter)
  • Either a 80/20 ground beef patty or 2-3 whole eggs.

For comparison, my ideal day looks like this...

Brunch: 4 eggs (280 cals) and 4 Jimmy Dean sauage patties (560 cals) cooked in butter (unknown cals, let's call it 100) = 940 calories.

Dinner: One 15-20oz New York Strip (620-775 calories if trimmed to 1/8 fat) cooked in tallow or butter (unknown cals, let's call it 100) = 875

Total caloric intake = 1815 <- I will lose weight if I stick to this.

Often times, I add lunch in there, whether I pack or grab some fast food burger patties (4 x 220 = 880). This will bring my total caloric intake to 2695 <- I will maintain weight if I eat like this.

And then, if snack on cheese or beef sticks inbetween meals, I run the risk of gaining weight. 

@Orweller brings up some good points about water, sleep, and stress. I might ask if you drink any artificially sweetened beverages. For most people this is fine, but for many others this will trigger a cephalic phase insulin response, and raised insulin levels will contribute to weight gain. Also, what time do you eat dinner? If I eat and then go to bed, I will absolutely gain weight. I have to eat at least 4 hours before going to sleep, and better for me if I go even longer.

On 6/20/2024 at 6:18 AM, Derrick said:

I used to workout extremely long and hard and totally under eat.  Think my body has been stressed for 10-15 years.

And this is what your body was used to. Now you are working out less and eating more. 

You could try amping up your workout routine closer to what it was. This will help you expend that energy AND potentially gain some muscle, which will increase your metabolism. At the same time, you could try OMAD, adjusting your intermittent fasting window, cutting back some on the food, etc.

10 hours ago, Bob said:

Dr. Berry often refers to the Proper Human Diet (which is a spectrum with carnivore on one end, and up to 100 carbs a day on the other end) as, not a weight loss diet, but a weight optimization diet. For 5'10", is it possible that you could stand to put on a few pounds?

I would say I have been on the leaner side but this is visible fat around my mid section that I have worked very hard to keep off. 

10 hours ago, Bob said:

For comparison, my ideal day looks like this...

Brunch: 4 eggs (280 cals) and 4 Jimmy Dean sauage patties (560 cals) cooked in butter (unknown cals, let's call it 100) = 940 calories.

Dinner: One 15-20oz New York Strip (620-775 calories if trimmed to 1/8 fat) cooked in tallow or butter (unknown cals, let's call it 100) = 875

Total caloric intake = 1815 <- I will lose weight if I stick to this.

Often times, I add lunch in there, whether I pack or grab some fast food burger patties (4 x 220 = 880). This will bring my total caloric intake to 2695 <- I will maintain weight if I eat like this.

I have recently just been eating ground beef patty’s in the morning and the ribeye with butter at night, sometime depending on the size of the ribeye i will have ground beef or some shrimp with it. Trying to say close to 2lbs of meat per day I feel like that should at least be near my maintenance calories.  2 times a day is all i eat and I also eat dinner around 6 so I have a good 3-4 hours before bed. 

I do not drink anything other than water, no caffeine, alcohol, just water.  

I do not think i need more of a work out I am already averaging 5 sessions a week.,  I could add in some walking but i just recently decided to take a break, thinking my body has been taxed for so long.  

I have not seen any of the benefits of this diet, weight is coming on.  Sleep is okay, I still wake up during the night 6-7 hours a on average, energy is lacking, nap often on the weekend, brain fog still here, headaches.  

I have recently just been eating ground beef patty’s in the morning and the ribeye with butter at night, sometime depending on the size of the ribeye i will have ground beef or some shrimp with it. Trying to say close to 2lbs of meat per day I feel like that should at least be near my maintenance calories.  2 times a day is all i eat and I also eat dinner around 6 so I have a good 3-4 hours before bed. 

I do not drink anything other than water, no caffeine, alcohol, just water.  

I do not think i need more of a work out I am already averaging 5 sessions a week.,  I could add in some walking but i just recently decided to take a break, thinking my body has been taxed for so long.  

I have not seen any of the benefits of this diet, weight is coming on.  Sleep is okay, I still wake up during the night 6-7 hours a on average, energy is lacking, nap often on the weekend, brain fog still here, headaches.  

You are a rare case indeed. Maybe eating a ketovore diet would better suit you.