• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Need to find energy for Gym Work & Running as well as maintain weight?

21 minutes ago, Rock said:

That is, when there is not enough fat to supply ketones the body starts to attack muscle tissue.

Rewatch that gal's video. 

Your ailments didn't happen overnight and the healing won't happen overnight. 

Keep putting the good fuel in and your body will do the rest.  You won't waste away to nothing. 

For fat butter ghee and lard or tallow can be eaten by themselves. 

Body is 80% water, anyone correct me if I'm wrong. 

You got this we believe in you. 

Edited by Meathead

24 minutes ago, Meathead said:

Rewatch that gal's video. 

Your ailments didn't happen overnight and the healing won't happen overnight. 

Keep putting the good fuel in and your body will do the rest.  You won't waste away to nothing. 

For fat butter ghee and lard or tallow can be eaten by themselves. 

Body is 80% water, anyone correct me if I'm wrong. 

You got this we believe in you. 

Thanks Curt.

I won't give up, but just sharing my thoughts.

Coincidentally I will be adding ghee to my list of fats, and I've been ensuring I add electrolytes to my food and water, and keep away from commercial salt.

I've also been visualizing successfully putting muscle back onto my frame.

Soon I'll be returning to the gym.

On 9/30/2024 at 8:41 AM, Rock said:

Hi.

Thanks for your encouragement.

At the moment, due to commitments, I haven't been spending time on myself.

I haven't restarted my gym workouts and have slipped on adhering to my diet.

My fear has been that starting a reasonable cardio routine will accelerate my situation.

That is, when there is not enough fat to supply ketones the body starts to attack muscle tissue.

I would leave cardio off the table for a while. It is an endurance activity, takes more time, and takes more fuel. I'd focus on weight lifting, your body will get signals to metabolize better, to build muscle. The importance of cardio is often over stated. Yes, cardio is important, about an hour and a half per week according to the heart association. 

I always get my workouts done because I keep it simple. No more than half an hour, period. No more is needed. Hours on the thread mill is not only counter productive (putting stress on your body), it's also useless. A 20 minutes walk 4 times or so per week and that is enough for heart health, etc. This coming from a former runner. 

Imo, the most important exercise is lift heavy and slow, 3 or 4 exercises per workout, about 30 minutes. THAT is the workout you can maintain. 3 times or 4 times a week. NOT everyday. Again, working out everyday is NOT beneficial for muscle growth, nor is it sustainable, unless you're a gym bro/rat. 

You do more and it quickly becomes too much. And eating right, and the gym.... exercise is only secondary, our bodies build when resting, feeding, sleeping. THAT is where we gain muscle, not in the gym. We lose weight in the kitchen NOT in the gym. Cardio is horrible for weight loss, even though this is not an issue for us. 

I am 49 years old with a six pack. Something I'd never thought I'd be flexing about on a forum to strangers lol. What I am saying is, I am amazed about my physical improvement, through carnivore lifestyle and the continuation of a good solid weight lifting routine. Leave the cardio when you walk the dog. 

13 hours ago, Orweller said:

I am 49 years old with a six pack. Something I'd never thought I'd be flexing about on a forum to strangers lol. What I am saying is, I am amazed about my physical improvement, through carnivore lifestyle and the continuation of a good solid weight lifting routine. Leave the cardio when you walk the dog. 

Thanks.

Great advice and very encouraging.

I definitely won't overdo my gym work.

Moderate workouts 2 to 3 times a week and concentrate on the weight and timing.

I'm 70.

We all share common needs, but I suspect each of us differ in various ways genetically and environmentally.

Up until going carnivore and simultaneously dealing with family issues, I jogged 3 miles 2 to 3 times a week for the last 50 years. I also practiced exercise sessions which might include pushups and stretching.

This cardio gave me clarity of mind, and feelings of well being.

Also, importantly it settled my breathe which helped me to achieve deeper levels of meditation.

I went out to the supermarket this morning to buy steak, un coated snitzel, butter, eggs, fish, and mince beef.

I usually walk briskly but today I felt easily puffed out.

I can tell I'm out of condition.

I'll continue to increase my fat intake and start weights, but for me I need cardio.

8 hours ago, Rock said:

Thanks.

Great advice and very encouraging.

I definitely won't overdo my gym work.

Moderate workouts 2 to 3 times a week and concentrate on the weight and timing.

I'm 70.

We all share common needs, but I suspect each of us differ in various ways genetically and environmentally.

Up until going carnivore and simultaneously dealing with family issues, I jogged 3 miles 2 to 3 times a week for the last 50 years. I also practiced exercise sessions which might include pushups and stretching.

This cardio gave me clarity of mind, and feelings of well being.

Also, importantly it settled my breathe which helped me to achieve deeper levels of meditation.

I went out to the supermarket this morning to buy steak, un coated snitzel, butter, eggs, fish, and mince beef.

I usually walk briskly but today I felt easily puffed out.

I can tell I'm out of condition.

I'll continue to increase my fat intake and start weights, but for me I need cardio.

Good to hear, and yes, running/jogging is an amazing tool, for the heart and for the mind. You'd want to consider the volume and extent of that activity. Same as weight lifting, it is very individual, it's also age related. After 40 we need recovery, period. But we'll always need those stimuli that make muscle grow, strengthen our bones and correct our posture, that is a universal need for optimal health. 

A brisk walk is a perfect example what you can do in the mean time. By the way, I haven't had schnitzel in a long time... thanks for the unintended suggestion. 

11 hours ago, Orweller said:

By the way, I haven't had schnitzel in a long time... thanks for the unintended suggestion. 

My butcher cuts nice thin, tender pieces of snitzel meat.

I just virtually sear them either side on high heat and add rock salt.

Very delicious.

You can also dip the pieces in beaten egg for a light snitzel style batter without using flour or other.

Edited by Rock

My butcher cuts nice thin, tender pieces of snitzel meat.
I just virtually sear them either side on high heat and add rock salt.
Very delicious.
You can also dip the pieces in beaten egg for a light snitzel style batter without using flour or other.

I make my own using venison and I coat it in panko pork rinds for a breading and fry it in tallow.
I also make a gravy that is 99% carnivore that goes well with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk