• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

another new guy question/fasting

I'm eating one meal a day most of the month. On nights, I eat about 7:30 after the shift starts each night and when I'm off it is about 6PM, but once per day.

When I'm on days I eat a small breakfast, maybe a couple hard boiled eggs and that gets me thru the day and then eat at 6PM.

I've watched some videos and read some literature on people with the same auto-immune condition I have and several of them spoke highly on the benefit of fasting.

A few mentioned their actual diet being carnivore.

The weight loss is great, the not taking pain/inflammation medicine is even better but I am reading about people no longer needing their infusions with MS as well as NMOSD. Some strictly carnivore and others with a combination of a no-carb/low carb diets with fasting from as much as 24 hours to five day water fasts. 

Since I'm not actually getting hungry at 24-hour intervals I have been thinking about stretching it out to 48 to see where I land.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Scott

It’s really just an individual thing in my opinion.
I’m in the category that I only eat when I’m hungry and then I eat until I’m comfortably full. That generally results in OMAD. It works well for me so far.
Some people do advocate for long fasts and there is some science behind it but others like Dr. Chaffee don’t feel there’s any benefit to it unless you are trying to cure something in particular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply.

Just thought I would throw it out there. I like adding any personal insights of others. Mostly because at the end of your post you didn't say, "Supply is limited, act now. But....if you order within the next fifteen minutes we will throw in another absolutely free". I always wonder how supply is limited but we have enough to give it away. 

But since science just figured out how to match the number of hotdogs in one package and enough rolls in another I should not stretch the community with more to ponder.

Scott

On 6/24/2024 at 11:08 PM, Scott F. said:

Thoughts? Experiences?

Some swear by it. I've done a few 24 hour fasts and one 40 hour fast. I'm sorta interested in doing it again, but at the same time, I like food, lol.

I believe I recall reading that fasting over 72 or 96 hours doesn't benefit you any more.

People will do this to speed up autophagy. But, autophagy actually is happening all the time. You can just give it a significant boost by fasting or lowering your caloric intake.

On 6/24/2024 at 10:08 PM, Scott F. said:

Thoughts? Experiences?

I've gone 8 days without eating, on purpose.  It was an amazing experience....I had so much more free time, I could smell things like never before, I lost 11 pounds in those 8 days.  I totally want to do it again....it's just really really hard to do if you have a very physically or mentally taxing job.  I was able to do it during a buyout at a previous company I worked for.  I had nothing to do....so no need to think super clearly.  :whistle:

Be careful about your blood pressure when fasting that long....standing up too fast could be very bad for you.  Forget exercise.  Watch your electrolytes.  And be mindful of re-feeding syndrome.  It could be deadly.  When breaking a prolonged fast, you better know how to do it the right way.

I really want to do it again and I'm sure you'll want to know how it goes when I finally get to do it.  And I could use the encouragement to actually go through with it...

On 6/26/2024 at 2:33 PM, Bob said:

I believe I recall reading that fasting over 72 or 96 hours doesn't benefit you any more.

There are no new benefits.  But you continue to have the "max" benefits from that point in time.

spacer.png

Edited by computerwiz