• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

NMOSD/Devic's

NMOSD is similar to Multiple Sclerosis but with the auto-immune response can be on the optic nerve. Basically, the immune system "thinks' it is attacking and removing something that does not belong, but the attack is on good/healthy tissue. The attack creates lesions on the myelin (the sheath that covers the nerves) and this attack opens the sheath and at times can expose the nerve. Both NMO and MS symptoms are all over the place and can make diagnosis really hard. It is more of a process of elimination approach to finding the diagnosis (and that sucks).

In the summer of 2018, I started with extreme burning sensations on my right thigh. Like if you were to pass a cutting torch across your skin. Then it moved to my left arm and my back. First diagnosis was Shingles without the blistering and rashes. The I started to have what felt like cramps behind my eyes. Then one day loss of motor skills in my left arm which sent me straight into 'stroke protocol'. Then finally on Labor Day morning I woke up and could not see. Everything was the same color as your monitor when you turn it off. Not jet black but just about.

By the time I got to the hospital most of the vision had returned. The left arm was sort of hanging around so back into stroke protocol again. Since my symptoms were hit and miss the doctors were sort of stumped. I was mostly scared but this once I was made enough to punch someone. I'm lying there, blurry eyed, left arm not working, my thigh on fire and (pardon the description) the only time I knew I was pissing or pooping was when it hit my ankles. And since the issues were coming and going and the doctor may or may not be present ...I had a doctor basically tell me, "I think you are here for pain pills, do you have a problem?". In both our best interests it was a good thing I was not able to stand up.

Luckily, I landed with my current Neurologist, and he ordered a couple test followed by a spinal tap. From there he got me on a 6-hour infusion two times per year. Other than a few minors I have been pretty much healthy since. 

The carnivore diet has eased the inflammation and the associated pain, and I have not taken any pain medicine since mid-May. The weight loss is a lot like the bonus plan.

I have started reading where there are a number of NMOSD and MS patients who have found they no longer require their infusions/medications while on the carnivore diet. it is somewhat exciting and hopeful. It is not that bad of an experience, but the first one usually cost me around $3500 out of pocket but fortunately the second one is "on the house". 

As far as the doctor who thought I was looking for pills. I photo'ed my medical record. At the time I was 49 years old. I had 7 prescriptions from the time I was 18-49. I wanted to draw a big middle finger, but my wife would not allow it.

And to add a funny, as I like to do that, imagine...in the shower, legs collapse, no movement in your left arm and you wind up laying on your good arm. You re yelling for your wife but she is on the other end of the house and can't hear you over the water. With all the negative potential while lying crumpled in the shower the only thing I could think of was "this f'ng hot water is going to run out soon".

Maybe it was the lesions on the brain or maybe I just think crazy shit. Don't know.

Excited to move forward with the benefits of the carnivore diet.

Scott

NMOSD is similar to Multiple Sclerosis but with the auto-immune response can be on the optic nerve. Basically, the immune system "thinks' it is attacking and removing something that does not belong, but the attack is on good/healthy tissue. The attack creates lesions on the myelin (the sheath that covers the nerves) and this attack opens the sheath and at times can expose the nerve. Both NMO and MS symptoms are all over the place and can make diagnosis really hard. It is more of a process of elimination approach to finding the diagnosis (and that sucks).
In the summer of 2018, I started with extreme burning sensations on my right thigh. Like if you were to pass a cutting torch across your skin. Then it moved to my left arm and my back. First diagnosis was Shingles without the blistering and rashes. The I started to have what felt like cramps behind my eyes. Then one day loss of motor skills in my left arm which sent me straight into 'stroke protocol'. Then finally on Labor Day morning I woke up and could not see. Everything was the same color as your monitor when you turn it off. Not jet black but just about.
By the time I got to the hospital most of the vision had returned. The left arm was sort of hanging around so back into stroke protocol again. Since my symptoms were hit and miss the doctors were sort of stumped. I was mostly scared but this once I was made enough to punch someone. I'm lying there, blurry eyed, left arm not working, my thigh on fire and (pardon the description) the only time I knew I was pissing or pooping was when it hit my ankles. And since the issues were coming and going and the doctor may or may not be present ...I had a doctor basically tell me, "I think you are here for pain pills, do you have a problem?". In both our best interests it was a good thing I was not able to stand up.
Luckily, I landed with my current Neurologist, and he ordered a couple test followed by a spinal tap. From there he got me on a 6-hour infusion two times per year. Other than a few minors I have been pretty much healthy since. 
The carnivore diet has eased the inflammation and the associated pain, and I have not taken any pain medicine since mid-May. The weight loss is a lot like the bonus plan.
I have started reading where there are a number of NMOSD and MS patients who have found they no longer require their infusions/medications while on the carnivore diet. it is somewhat exciting and hopeful. It is not that bad of an experience, but the first one usually cost me around $3500 out of pocket but fortunately the second one is "on the house". 
As far as the doctor who thought I was looking for pills. I photo'ed my medical record. At the time I was 49 years old. I had 7 prescriptions from the time I was 18-49. I wanted to draw a big middle finger, but my wife would not allow it.
And to add a funny, as I like to do that, imagine...in the shower, legs collapse, no movement in your left arm and you wind up laying on your good arm. You re yelling for your wife but she is on the other end of the house and can't hear you over the water. With all the negative potential while lying crumpled in the shower the only thing I could think of was "this f'ng hot water is going to run out soon".
Maybe it was the lesions on the brain or maybe I just think crazy shit. Don't know.
Excited to move forward with the benefits of the carnivore diet.
Scott

WOW! What a testimony Scott. I can even imagine what you’ve gone through. You finding some relief through proper nutrition really gives you an appreciation that most of us can’t imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Geezy

I'm still in the 'who woulda thunk it?' phase. As said, the weight loss has been huge but just from changing the way I eat I have not gone to the medicine cabinet. Being a doubter by nature there is still a part of me waiting for the proverbial hammer to drop. 

I had a complete blood work up in early May just as I started. I had a short scan set up a couple weeks ago but work and time got in the way. I moved it out to early August. This will give me a before and after with app. 90 days going carnivore. I will post results and then I am due an infusion in November that carries another complete work up for another 90-day comparison.

Coming out of the service in the early 90's I chose a trash diet and a trash lifestyle. I had seven prescriptions in all that time. I was very lucky maybe even dodged a few health bullets along the way. Maybe the dumbest thought I had or said is when I got the actual diagnosis. The doctor said NMO and I said, "Not me, I'm only 49". The reality sort of sat in as we left the hospital and I felt really old. I think my rebound was that during my first infusions in the cancer center I saw so many people with a much tougher row to hoe than me, especially the young people. There is a certain perspective and a shift in appreciation when walking down that hallway. 

With all that, I am really excited to see if there are notable medical changes. I've lost some weight, ditched some pills and fell as well as I have in a really long time. I am a 12-hour rotating shift worker so energy can be at a premium. The past couple of months have been really different. So much so, tonight I'm 24 hours deep in my first 48 hour fast. 

So far so good.

Scott

From my own experience I can understand. Once you have been really sick and then there is relief from a for of treatment it is hard to 'change' in fear of what "can't get any worse" actually can get worse. I sort of understand.

If you had approached me in early May and said, "If you eat rib eyes and chuck steaks your auto-immune issues will go away". I probably would have replied, "You are as full of shit as a Christmas turkey". Again, I can see where there is some doubt as well as the fear of 'getting worse'

There is a point where a person with a sickness will try anything all the way to the point of grasping at straws/hoping against hope. I guess I get the reservations.

For me, I had no idea the carnivore diet was going to be anything more than a weight loss diet that actually fit me, how I eat and my shiftwork lifestyle. The weight was peeling off really fast so in the beginning it was a total success. Then I opened the box and read some of the instructions. 

And to come full circle I have a friend whose wife has MS. I went from being a nay-sayer to feeding her a ton of information around the carnivore diet.

Full circle in less than two months. 

Scott