• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

introducing myself

Good morning, all.  I live in Ontario Canada & I am new to carnivore (about a month).  Still at the stage were I am removing food and sorting out a few other things.  No weight loss but I am being patient.   My goal is to feel better (fibromyalgia)  and to lose the weight that I have been trying to lose for quite a few years. That has been very frustrating.  I am constantly fighting  the mindset that has been drummed into our brains in regards to the food pyramid (fruits, veggies, grains & less fat).  I have been counting calories for years &  I was, for the most part, vegetarian over this passed winter.  That's not a long time but long enough to know it didn't make me feel any better or help with the weight loss.

My next steps are to remove ice-cream & more fruit (I love my fruit)  & continue removing more sugary items from my diet.  I also need to switch out my almond milk, which I have been drinking for many years.  

I would be grateful for any advice or tips.

Welcome aboard Emmerson!

It sounds like you are moving in the right direction. Since you have some weight to lose and some healing you are hoping to accomplish, I would defintely focus on being keto, ketovore, or carnivore. 

Keto = less than 20 actual carbs per day. (Half your plate fatty meat, the other half low carb veggies). 
Ketovore = less than 10 actual carbs per day. (3/4 plate fatty meat, 1/4 plate low carb veg).
Carnivore = trace carbs (still a little carbs in meat, eggs, etc), nearly zero carb. Animal products only.

You will want to cut out the fruit and probably milk as well, as the fruit is full of fructose (sugar) and the milk will have lactose (sugar) which are carbs. You might be able to reintroduce these at a later time.

You can by all means gradually wean yourself off of them as you work your way to carnivore. But just know that until you've given them up completely for a period of time, they might still play games with your cravings.

Welcome to the club. You are indeed heading towards the right direction. Take it slow if you must. Your mindset needs a bit to catch up. And all the old stuff, food pyramids, calories in/calories out, they will deserve another critical look. I am Ketovore myself, and sometimes I even have 40 carbs in a day or 50 even, but I am 7 months in, fat adapted, and it doesn't kick me out of ketosis. You'll learn so much about yourself in the coming months, you may find yourself asking, I wish I knew all this sooner! But whether the process is slow, or fast, easy or hard, you're moving away from the things you know do not work for you. Ask away, @Boband @Geezyare a wealth of information, and really helpful. I am just a smarty pants and they allow me on here for the time being. Much luck to you. 

Welcome to the party Emmerson we are glad you could join us.
You are started down the right path towards better heath.
In my opinion it takes a strong person to ease their way into this WOE (Way Of Eating). There’s no way I could have done it. I had to just bite the bullet and go all in. I just cut out everything but animal fats, animal protein, salt and water.
Since you ate a heavy plant and sugar based diet you may find yourself weakening at times so I would suggest that you immerse yourself into the carnivore community but being active on the forum and reading books about how and why we eat this way. I found and continue find that watching utube videos from carnivore doctors and influencers really helps keep me motivated.
Good luck and good health and let us know how we can help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Emmerson

Welcome to the group!!   I just joined myself last night.

Sounds like you're definitely heading in the right direction.

I've been trying to be Carnivore for close to six years now, and have finally come to the place, where I realized I needed to ditch all the plant foods, in order for healing to occur. The last thing to go was cashews. Some can jump right in, but it was a process for me, as well as desperation, since the plants were making me feel so bad.

I think we need to be our own detectives, and listen to our bodies, in how foods affect us. 

I believe it takes a lot of courage, to head in the direction to better health, which is what we are both doing. Not many are willing to eliminate the things that are making them sick. 

This community seems very caring and supportive, which will help all of us on our journeys.

Take care. 

11 hours ago, Laura said:

Hi Emmerson

I've been trying to be Carnivore for close to six years now, and have finally come to the place, where I realized I needed to ditch all the plant foods, in order for healing to occur. The last thing to go was cashews. Some can jump right in, but it was a process for me, as well as desperation, since the plants were making me feel so bad.

I think we need to be our own detectives, and listen to our bodies, in how foods affect us. 

I believe it takes a lot of courage, to head in the direction to better health, which is what we are both doing. Not many are willing to eliminate the things that are making them sick. 

This community seems very caring and supportive, which will help all of us on our journeys.

Take care. 

Welcome, also, to you @Laura

Welcome.

I'm about 60 days in myself so pretty much really new to the community.

As you add the meats and fats start ditching the carbs and sugars. I sort of went in head first without much of a plan. 

There can be a systematic approach and I am sure that can be just as successful.

Good luck. This is a great place to stop by.

Scott

20 hours ago, Laura said:

Hi Emmerson

Take care. 

Hey we are similar, I had been dabbling mostly just consuming the carnivore content on YouTube since about 2018. But I finally got my act together in February this past year. My wagon has been a bit bumpy this past month, but I am doing my best to hold on and not fall off entirely.