• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

I cant drink black coffee!!  It's the one thing I refuse to give up.  It's my one vice now and I need it.  I have been trying to drink it black but it just doesn't do it for me.  The last couple days I have put in just a splash of heavy cream and it is wonderful!  

Sigh I really wanted to do BBB&E for 90 days but guess I will have to modify to have a teaspoon of cream 1-2 times a day.

Edited by Bossman150

Old habits are hard to break.  That said... I can count on one hand how many cups of coffee I've had in my life. But,  now I was thinking of giving it a try just to have some taste to the liquid I drink. 20 days ago I was a heavy iced tea drinker.  Saccharine was my main sweetener with a half to full teaspoon of sugaradded to each  24oz cup. My dependency on that kept me from starting this diet since the beginning of the year, but I finally gave it up, and took the plunge.

Do what you need to do to continue on.
It can be very difficult for some when they try to cut out too much too soon.
Most carnivores starting out keep their coffee or tea and as long cream does not bother their system then it’s no big deal.
In time, as you become fat adapted and secure in your eating you may want to improve your diet and decide to eliminate coffee or like I did, switch to tea. If that happens then you’ll only be fighting that one addiction instead of several at the same time. I drank tea for over a year as a carnivore and found that even though the caffeine was less it was sufficient. After some time I decided that I no longer wanted to be controlled by caffeine so a little over a month ago I stopped drinking tea and found it wasn’t that difficult.
For my morning hot beverage I now drink a half cup of bone broth with a half cup of water with a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of MCT oil all emulsified together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Bossman150 said:

I don't ever want to give up my coffee.

I didn't want to give up drinking but happy I did. 

I figured nothing was going to control my life if it affected my health or family again. 

Like @Geezy said not all at once as it can derail, overwhelm you. 

Best of luck we know you can keep on bettering yourself. 

Has anyone here done the Protein Sparing Modified Fast, Carnivore version?  It's a low fat Keto or Carnivore used for quick weight loss.  Maria and Craig Emmerich do this. When I first started out on the journey to this way of eating, I was eating very low fat, and lost a lot of weight, and was down to 100 lbs.  I have been stuck at 122-123 for over a year. I know we need fat for many important functions, but maybe cycling in and out of this would help. Any ideas are appreciated.  Also, I don't believe I'm properly digesting fat, due to my liver cirrhosis. The cirrhosis is not from fatty liver, and all of my liver labs and ultrasound s which I have every 6 months, are perfect. 

Has anyone here done the Protein Sparing Modified Fast, Carnivore version?  It's a low fat Keto or Carnivore used for quick weight loss.  Maria and Craig Emmerich do this. When I first started out on the journey to this way of eating, I was eating very low fat, and lost a lot of weight, and was down to 100 lbs.  I have been stuck at 122-123 for over a year. I know we need fat for many important functions, but maybe cycling in and out of this would help. Any ideas are appreciated.  Also, I don't believe I'm properly digesting fat, due to my liver cirrhosis. The cirrhosis is not from fatty liver, and all of my liver labs and ultrasound s which I have every 6 months, are perfect. 

Try it. I’m not one for trying to force things but if you feel your not where you should be then give it a shot.
Be your N of 1.

Have you looked into different types of fasting or reviewing your diet to see if you need to change anything? These things can also make a difference.

Thanks, Geezy.  I probably need to do more fasting.  I have removed dairy, and that seems to be helping some.  My brother was visiting this week, so was off plan a bit, but not bad.  The worst was fries one night at a restaurant, which made me feel quite trashy.  The rest was only a small amount of veg.  I am including a few dry roasted cashews, and a bit of cucumber, and the only meat is beef.  I'm feeling much less inflamed since removing dairy. 

Thanks, Geezy.  I probably need to do more fasting.  I have removed dairy, and that seems to be helping some.  My brother was visiting this week, so was off plan a bit, but not bad.  The worst was fries one night at a restaurant, which made me feel quite trashy.  The rest was only a small amount of veg.  I am including a few dry roasted cashews, and a bit of cucumber, and the only meat is beef.  I'm feeling much less inflamed since removing dairy. 

Since this is an elimination diet then you may need to start cutting back in some of those carbs. Just do one at a time and give it several weeks to see what happens. Eliminating the dairy is a good start especially since you are seeing a difference.
Some people find that they do best on a strict carnivore diet of fat, meat, salt and water. It’s what works best for me but we are all different and you may do just fine with a little bit of carbs.
Keep experimenting and you should eventually get it figured out.
Good luck.

I could count on one hand the number of cups of coffee I have had my entire life even if that hand was amputated. Even though my parents were heavy coffee drinkers, they were of a mind that children should not drink coffee so I never drank any. When I was grown and tried it, a mouthful was plenty enough to spit out and know I didn't like it.

I used to drink unsweet iced tea in vast amounts until I discovered the knotting I was getting in my arms and legs were from the tannins ... so I gave up tea and I never did drink wine.

I am fine with the original drink with no sweeteners, colors or flavors added, natural or artificial, and I get it for free ... it comes right out of our well and my brother pays for the electricity to run the pump 🙂

I find that if you don't dwell on what you can't eat or are giving up and dwell on what you can eat, it is much easier to eliminate various things from your diet.

34 minutes ago, Qapla said:

I find that if you don't dwell on what you can't eat or are giving up and dwell on what you can eat, it is much easier to eliminate various things from your diet.

Exactly, but remember what works for you or myself may not work for others.  Some of us are fortunate enough to have the willpower, mindset others may need support but it doesn't make us better or them weaker.  We all have to support one another and help each other with our short comings. 

Yes, I agree - I was just sharing what works for me ...

Works for me as well. I just lost the desire to eat anything that wasn’t nutritious.
I started drinking coffee in basic training. Just had to have it to get going in the morning. Drank it every day until I started carnivore when I just lost my taste for it and switched to tea in the morning. I gave that up two months ago and now I’m not addicted to anything.