• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Carnivore fasting - OMAD?

I've been on the carnivore diet 5 months and have lost about 57 pounds.  Started at 370 and weighed 313 this morning.  For more than half of this diet, I've only eaten lunch and dinner, no breakfast.  I'm thinking of going to OMAD.  From you guy's experience, what one meal is it best to eat if you're only eating one per day?

I can see pros and cons to each. 

If it's only breakfast I eat, I won't be having a meal with the family, and I'll create a hassle trying to cook while two kids and my wife are all trying to get ready for the day.  I guess a pro could be that I can run all day on that meal and the time at which I'd be most likely to be hungry is when I'm asleep.  But if that caused sleep problems, it wouldn't be worth it.

If it's only lunch I eat, I'll be at work and having anything decent there would be a chore.

If it's only dinner I eat, I'll be sleeping with all that food on me and most likely be super hungry at work.

What have you guys experienced?

When I went OMAD it wasn’t a conscious decision it just came natural.
A couple of months into my new lifestyle I realized that I was eating by the clock but I wasn’t hungry when I ate. The seemed silly to me so I figured that eating when I was hungry made more sense. That ended up being just once a day. The time that I would eat verified. On the average I would get hungry between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm. Sometimes it may be around 3:00 pm or even 6:00 pm. The key was just to eat when I was truly hungry.
One thing I noticed that there were times when I would get hungry but I’d be too busy to eat but it was easy to ignore and just wait until later when it was more convenient to eat.
There have even been times when I just forgot to eat and ended up going on a long term fast.
Now with all of that being said I must say that I’m retired so I have more flexibility that most. If I was still working and only OMAD I believe I would just eat when I got home in the evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting to OMAD just sort of happened for me as well. I just progressed to eating when I was hungry and like Geezy said, sometimes it stretched past OMAD into the next.

I work rotating shift work, and my wife is not going carnivore. These life variables will play a part in your eating 'habits', even when you are learning not to eat from habit....as crazy as that sounds.

When I am on dayshift, I eat a small lunch and then again when I get home, maybe 8 or so. If I am on nights I eat soon after the shift starts, usually around 8PM. On nights I eat the next two or three shifts at the same time which is the OMAD. When I am off it is OMAD but on occasion I may dog a big egg breakfast after the gym.

I'm seldom, if ever actually hungry, so the majority of my mills are dictated by shift schedule, then lining up to eat with my wife when she eats. The third part would be on my days off mid-week when my wife is working, I could go 24-36 hours and not realize I hadn't stopped to eat. Again, craziness.

I have done a couple 48 hour fasts (intentionally) and just recently completed a 72 hour fast. Both were both much easier than I ever expected. I did get hungry at the very end and I also hit an energy wall, but overall, pretty easy.

Babbling but not being hungry makes it easier to have a varied schedule with the best being eating when hungry, but at the same time life factors.

Scott