• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an carnviore-centric ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Hi, new Carnivore here...with a question or two.

On 8/27/2024 at 10:33 AM, rpavich said:

I think now i"ll have to ...to drag out the pleasure past 2 minutes

That's good marital advice regardless of the context, lol :lol1: 

On 8/5/2024 at 9:14 AM, rpavich said:

Hi,

My name is Robert...I've been doing Carnivore for almost 3 weeks now and a question popped up that you might be able to help me with.

I did Atkins Low carb for 5 years...I lost 80 lbs and kept it off without a blip on the radar....but a bite of pie derailed that...then 5 years of gaining weight...and then calorie counting and doing a LOT of bike riding and working out; weight came back down....then covid hit and my momentum died...I don't do a lot of exercise now...it's hard to get going.

I noticed one thing about me....when I have the option to eat crap....the urge frequently wins....a handful of (even low carb) chips or other treat turns into a lot more ...the whole bag of chips...etc. I do better when there is a clear line that isn't to be crossed.

So here is my observation/question:

I frequently eat something sweet at the end of the day...sugar free jell-o with some reddi-whip (sugar free) on top or something similar, I have a craving for something sweet after all my meals.
I also think that this isn't a good thing...somehow it's derailing me. I've gained a few lbs while doing carnivore and suspect that this might have something to do with it though I really don't know.

Is it BEST to cut out all "sweet tasting" things while on carnivore? Does that inhibit ketosis and fat burning even though it's sugar free?

I was a carnivore (I ate only meat and eggs for 8 months). I lost some body fat in the first 3 months, but after that nothing happened. Aside from the satiety effect of eating more protein, most of the supposed benefits that the carnivore diet can provide you can find on a whole foods diet with a high protein and low carbohydrate ratio.
Cravings for sweets are very common when you are on a hyper-restrictive diet like the carnivore diet or the lion diet. This is not a problem, it is a downside of this way of eating. You will always have some craving for something sweet. You can only eat something sweet so often. The healthier and more active you are, the more often you will be able to satisfy this craving without suffering negative consequences.
As a rule of the tumb, do this as infrequently as possible.

1 hour ago, Andre said:

I was a carnivore (I ate only meat and eggs for 8 months). I lost some body fat in the first 3 months, but after that nothing happened. Aside from the satiety effect of eating more protein, most of the supposed benefits that the carnivore diet can provide you can find on a whole foods diet with a high protein and low carbohydrate ratio.
Cravings for sweets are very common when you are on a hyper-restrictive diet like the carnivore diet or the lion diet. This is not a problem, it is a downside of this way of eating. You will always have some craving for something sweet. You can only eat something sweet so often. The healthier and more active you are, the more often you will be able to satisfy this craving without suffering negative consequences.
As a rule of the tumb, do this as infrequently as possible.

I disagree.  I don't crave anything sweet anymore.

I'm not an expert but I believe cravings come from nutrient deficiencies and someone experiencing such cravings hasn't fully adapted or isn't primed.

I disagree.  I don't crave anything sweet anymore.
I'm not an expert but I believe cravings come from nutrient deficiencies and someone experiencing such cravings hasn't fully adapted or isn't primed.

Agreed. I never crave anything sweet or carby. I lost all of that in about 60 days of carnivore. It was one of the great freedoms of this way of eating. No more addictions to food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Andre said:

most of the supposed benefits that the carnivore diet can provide you can find on a whole foods diet with a high protein and low carbohydrate ratio.

This is true.

20 hours ago, Andre said:

Cravings for sweets are very common... You will always have some craving for something sweet.

Eh, maybe at first. But in time, you train your taste buds to enjoy savory dishes, and the cookies, cakes, pies, and candy begin to look like what it actually is - not real food.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy fruit when I choose to have it. And yes, you bet I would love some sweets if I chose to have them to. But crave them? Nah, as long as I keep abstaining from them, or keep it to a what they were always meant to be... a rare, occasional treat... then so-called "cravings" never have to be an issue.

I'm no expert at all and personally, I consider 114 days still in the infancy and barely tipping the iceberg of the learning. Seldom do I disagree with another's post because everything is really individualistic when it comes to one's health.

My son was on the diet and told me three or so weeks in the diet I would seldom be hungry and eating two hamburger patties would be a tough go. Like was posted earlier, I could snack midafternoon, eat a honking ribeye, with a loaded bake potato, two to three glasses of sweet tea and then eat a hearty snack before bed. "eezy-peezy". I'd still wake up hungry in the morning. There is no way two hamburger patties are going to fill a man at 300lbs. So, I pretty much thought he was full of S*&%.

Fast forward three weeks in and I put four patties on my plate and nearly had to choke the second one down. The next two got moved til the next day.. From that point on I am mostly OMAD

Before I snacked to be snacking, mostly out of habit and cravings. From about three to four weeks in the cravings were gone and have not had one since. I mentioned once my wife mixed some left-over black beans and corn into a scrap bowl to give to the chickens. It was not exactly a craving, but it did look appealing. I also did a lot of snacking based on break times at work on the 12 hour shift.

For most, eating is a habit as much as it is a craving or a need. The carnivore diet is all about elimination. For me, it eliminated the cravings and pretty much broke the habit of eating just to be eating. It has not eliminated my need to eat but it has eliminated what I thought was "the need to eat all the time". 

Again, this is my spiel, and the carnivore experience will never be 'cookie-cutter' but there a lot of typicals.

Scott

I'm no expert at all and personally, I consider 114 days still in the infancy and barely tipping the iceberg of the learning. Seldom do I disagree with another's post because everything is really individualistic when it comes to one's health.
My son was on the diet and told me three or so weeks in the diet I would seldom be hungry and eating two hamburger patties would be a tough go. Like was posted earlier, I could snack midafternoon, eat a honking ribeye, with a loaded bake potato, two to three glasses of sweet tea and then eat a hearty snack before bed. "eezy-peezy". I'd still wake up hungry in the morning. There is no way two hamburger patties are going to fill a man at 300lbs. So, I pretty much thought he was full of S*&%.
Fast forward three weeks in and I put four patties on my plate and nearly had to choke the second one down. The next two got moved til the next day.. From that point on I am mostly OMAD
Before I snacked to be snacking, mostly out of habit and cravings. From about three to four weeks in the cravings were gone and have not had one since. I mentioned once my wife mixed some left-over black beans and corn into a scrap bowl to give to the chickens. It was not exactly a craving, but it did look appealing. I also did a lot of snacking based on break times at work on the 12 hour shift.
For most, eating is a habit as much as it is a craving or a need. The carnivore diet is all about elimination. For me, it eliminated the cravings and pretty much broke the habit of eating just to be eating. It has not eliminated my need to eat but it has eliminated what I thought was "the need to eat all the time". 
Again, this is my spiel, and the carnivore experience will never be 'cookie-cutter' but there a lot of typicals.
Scott

You are spot on Scott.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk