• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

On 4/1/2024 at 10:05 PM, Geezy said:

Welcome to my world Bob. Love some good lamb.

On 4/1/2024 at 10:36 PM, ImCharlieBruh said:

lamb is where it's at lol

Is every cut of lamb called a chop? What I had in the picture I shared, I have no idea what part of the animal that was. But there were also "lamb chops" that were clearly ribs with meat attached. It was double the price though so I picked up these. 

Then there was a boneless leg of lamb that was pretty cheap, but I would have to cut it into steaks myself.

1 minute ago, Bob said:

Welcome aboard Matt. 

I want to make homemade beef jerky myself. I've heard you can use a regular range oven, but I am wondering if it would be better or easier to use a countertop unit myself. 

Give me your opinion and we will let the English muffin slide :lol1:

Lol! You can use a regular range oven.... I tried both the convection toaster and the oven -- the oven takes a lot longer, uses a ton more energy, and overall I wasn't able to get it as crispy as I did in the toaster oven. I usually run it at 220 convection, on an elevated rack, for about 45-60 mins, flip the cuttings, and run it another 45 -- several times because of space restrictions.

But if I'm going to keep doing this I'm going to get a dehydrator because it's like a hundred bucks and has a lot more capacity.

Day 10

Today I have eaten chicken livers which I cooked at home. 

I have also eaten two plates of what is shown in the picture. I thought that they were liver in the past and have referred to them as that. Today I have found out that they are kidneys!

Namaste

IMG_20240404_173622.jpg

2 hours ago, Bob said:

I've heard you can use a regular range oven, but I am wondering if it would be better or easier to use a countertop unit myself. 

Having done it both ways I’ll say use a dehydrator machine. Much easier and the wife doesn’t get mad that you messed up the oven and it’s probably better on the electric bill and doesn’t add extra heat to the house. 

2 hours ago, Bob said:

Is every cut of lamb called a chop?

I think there are a couple of different types of chops depending on how the meat is cut. Now I’m not a butcher but I believe standard chops, just like pork chops are taken from a section along the back bone and just above the ribs. The ribs are then cut out for spareribs. If the ribs are not goin to be used as spareribs then the rib is kept in and more meat is attached as part of the chop. You get more meat and a better quality cut. 
In cattle it would be called the T-bone.  If cut further up the spine it would be a bone in ribeye.  I may be a little off on my explanation but I think I’m close. 

Lamb steak and lamb burger with butter.
96f7d2a82ec577bc7ab60d4820f4e86f.jpg
Later on while working in my garage I had a little fat snack of rendered fat with a touch of smoked salt on it.
777c6b1bc3e2fc4a533281cb4f90da85.jpg
The cracklings are my little fat snacks or fat bombs that come from rendering down beef fat for tallow. After I’ve rendered out all of that liquid gold these fat bites are left over and with a little salt they make a good fatty snack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Geezy said:

The cracklings are my little fat snacks or fat bombs that come from rendering down beef fat for tallow. After I’ve rendered out all of that liquid gold these fat bites are left over and with a little salt they make a good fatty snack.

I should try making tallow. This meat store near town sells backs of fat on the cheap.

I should try making tallow. This meat store near town sells backs of fat on the cheap.

I need to post my process in the recipe thread. I think I have finally got it down to my satisfaction.
I’ll work on it.

Day 12

Today I ate a lot and felt full at the end of it. That's a first!

I started with some ghee. I was taking some ghee out to cook and decided to eat a little. It tasted different today. I really liked it. That could be to do with the fact that it was refrigerated and/or because I, my body and my taste buds are changing. So ate some more, quite a lot. 

After that I ate ten egg yolks cooked in ghee and some chicken livers. 

Today I had cackleberries for breakfast (it's what my dad would call eggs, lol). Then Wagyu beef for lunch, and then more wagyu beef and some tilapia for dinner. It wasn't very photogenic so I didn't snap a pic, lol.

Day 14

Today I have eaten a fair amount of ghee followed by six egg yolks and chicken livers cooked in ghee. 

I am at a cafe right now drinking water that I have mixed Himalayan salt into. While paying for the water I see thay they are selling many cakes at the counter and one is labelled sugar free. In the past I would have bought that and told myself that it was ok for me to eat. Today my ego had a few things to say about it yet I have stayed away from it. Progress!

Namaste

Edited by louis

13 hours ago, louis said:

one is labelled sugar free

It may be. But it's still all refined grains which start turning into sugar the moment it hits your tongue anyway. Good self control 👍

my 4 and 6 year old where eating cookies and threw the left overs on my chest. I didn't even know they where there. I told my wife wow I dont even want these which is odd. 

my kids are eating butter instead of sugar and they are now wanting less sugar which is also awesome. 

Good call on the hidden transformer non sugar sugar cakes.

On 4/7/2024 at 8:03 PM, Bob said:

Today I had cackleberries for breakfast (it's what my dad would call eggs, lol). Then Wagyu beef for lunch, and then more wagyu beef and some tilapia for dinner. It wasn't very photogenic so I didn't snap a pic, lol.

meat isn't very photogenic unless you've got the proper lights and camera which I don't lop

Spent all day on the tractor cutting pastures. The eclipse was interesting and the relief from the sun for that little while was pleasant.
Didn’t have anything to eat all day and I didn’t get in the house until after seven. But I was tired and hungry so I had seven scrambled eggs with four slices of bacon chopped up in them. Man, that hit the spot after being in the fields all day.

Day 15

I have eaten some ghee today as well as 3 fried eggs cooked in ghee and a small amount of buffalo cooked in ghee. 

I bought some buffalo meat today. I was so happy to have bought it as well as some buffalo kidney. 

I fried some of the buffalo meat in ghee and because it was so rubbery and difficult to chew, I only ate a small amount. 

When I bought the buffalo I just said to the butcher that I wanted it to be fatty. I did not even think about which part of the animal I wanted to buy. I have little knowledge about things like that. I could have researched before buying. 

I am now thinking that maybe for the rest of the meat that I have, it would be best to boil it so that it softens and maybe drink the water that I cook it in instead of draining it or eating the meat raw. 

Argh. I was and am so happy that I bought some buffalo. Now I need to learn how to cook it. 

I tell you what, I am learning so much about myself on this carnivore journey. 

3 hours ago, louis said:

When I bought the buffalo I just said to the butcher that I wanted it to be fatty. I did not even think about which part of the animal I wanted to buy. I have little knowledge about things like that. I could have researched before buying.

I would try searing both sides on medium heat. I prefer my red meat with some pink still in the middle when you slice it. We call that Medium around here. Some others prefer Medium-Rare and still others like Rare. Usually if it still doesn't have some red or pink in the middle, it's gonna feel like shoe leather, lol. 

Your used to cooking chicken which has to be cooked thoroughly well done. This isn't the case with red meat.

Refer to this chart for reference....

45 minutes ago, Bob said:

I would try searing both sides on medium heat. I prefer my red meat with some pink still in the middle when you slice it. We call that Medium around here. Some others prefer Medium-Rare and still others like Rare. Usually if it still doesn't have some red or pink in the middle, it's gonna feel like shoe leather, lol. 

Your used to cooking chicken which has to be cooked thoroughly well done. This isn't the case with red meat.

Refer to this chart for reference....

Thank you Bob. Much appreciated. 

Doh! I was thinking that I need to cook it for longer!

I am actually boiling some now. I bet I over cook this batch too. 

Usually I like it medium rare or rare! 

I am learning!