• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

Ok, not to be rude but I am constipated, what can I do.  I am also urinating like no tomorrow, is this normal?

How long have you been carnivore Angela?
In the beginning of carnivore this is normal. As your body switches to fat buring you will release a lot of water that is retained during cab burning as a fuel source.

After the first day or so, you’ll notice that you are in the bathroom urinating more often. Your body is burning up the extra glycogen (stored glucose) in your liver and muscles. Breaking down glycogen releases a lot of water. As your carb intake and glycogen stores drop, your kidneys will start dumping this excess water.
Your body will also expel essential minerals, sodium, magnesium, potassium, so you may want to supplement these.

I don’t know if there is a “best ghee” but I would think that if the label says it’s just pure ghee then it would be alright.
This is what I use.
750f410837fa87c5c484987a530542a7.jpg

Another thing Angela, be aware that the Jimmy Dean’s sausage contains sugar so if you can’t find a sugar free sausage ( which I don’t know if there is any unless you make your own) you may want to be cautious how much you eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/20/2023 at 11:32 AM, Geezy said:

Bob, check out Chris Cooking Nashville on utube. He has a butter Mayo that he makes that doesn’t solidify in the refrigerator. My experience with making my own, using carnivore fats always gets solid and unspreadable so if it’s not used right away it’s just too hard.

I could see that happening. When I bought beef tallow for the first time (kind of expensive at $15/jar), it says "Refrigerate after opening", so I did. But then I had to almost chisel it out of the jar after that first use. 

22 hours ago, Angela Little said:

Ok, not to be rude but I am constipated, what can I do.  I am also urinating like no tomorrow, is this normal?

Or, you think you're constipated. When someone starts keto, especially carnivore or very carnivore-centric keto, there is an adaptation period that could last a few weeks. For almost a month, I might only sit down and go #2 maybe once or twice a week. And it would alternate between diarrhea or passing driveway gravel. But eventually it returned to a more normal consistency. But, I still only go about twice a week.

This is much different from when I was thoughtlessly eating anything and everything on the standard American diet and would go sit down and do #2 at least once daily, and usually more. I used to have ulcerative colitis, and sometimes would have to go 10-20 times in a day, so I really really appreciate my new normal, lol. 

Geoff nailed it on the kidneys. Since you no longer eat carboHYDRATEs, you are expelling excess water and salts. So be sure to drink as needed and salt your food to taste. And as he suggested you might want an electrolyte supplement. He drinks LMNT and I take magnesium as needed.

I could see that happening. When I bought beef tallow for the first time (kind of expensive at $15/jar), it says "Refrigerate after opening", so I did. But then I had to almost chisel it out of the jar after that first use. 

As you know I make my own tallow and i use it almost daily. It’s ok to leave the tallow out at room temperature. It will keep just fine at room temp for months. I’ve read even a year but I don’t know if that’s unopened or used regularly.
I also don’t refrigerate my butter because I use salted butter and that also keeps just fine, especially as fast as I go through it.

Hello everyone.  I have been running, running, running trying to make ends meet. Never mind that, I hadn't posted for 2 days but I have been on track. I am just now having my first meal of the day; I ate about 9 last night and just hadn't had an appetite.

Tonight, I am having eggs, spinach, sausage patty and a polish link.  I have reached my peak; it doesn't take much for me to get satiated and I am loving it.  I feel better already, I feel some looseness around my back area. Yeah.  I have been watching a few you tube videos, and everyone has their opinion with their items for sale, for me though I am sticking with the two of you for my advice everything and everyone else is just too complicated and it's about paying for endorsements. 

Thanks a million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Angela Little
wasn't complete

On 12/21/2023 at 8:05 AM, Geezy said:

How long have you been carnivore Angela?
In the beginning of carnivore this is normal. As your body switches to fat buring you will release a lot of water that is retained during cab burning as a fuel source.

After the first day or so, you’ll notice that you are in the bathroom urinating more often. Your body is burning up the extra glycogen (stored glucose) in your liver and muscles. Breaking down glycogen releases a lot of water. As your carb intake and glycogen stores drop, your kidneys will start dumping this excess water.
Your body will also expel essential minerals, sodium, magnesium, potassium, so you may want to supplement these.

I don’t know if there is a “best ghee” but I would think that if the label says it’s just pure ghee then it would be alright.
This is what I use.
750f410837fa87c5c484987a530542a7.jpg

Another thing Angela, be aware that the Jimmy Dean’s sausage contains sugar so if you can’t find a sugar free sausage ( which I don’t know if there is any unless you make your own) you may want to be cautious how much you eat.

Geezy, yes those are the symptoms that I had, I have only been carnivore for about 1 or so. I am good now a bit better and thanks for the sausage tip, I hadn't really looked, I just knew meat.

21 hours ago, Bob said:

Or, you think you're constipated. When someone starts keto, especially carnivore or very carnivore-centric keto, there is an adaptation period that could last a few weeks. For almost a month, I might only sit down and go #2 maybe once or twice a week. And it would alternate between diarrhea or passing driveway gravel. But eventually it returned to a more normal consistency. But, I still only go about twice a week.

This is much different from when I was thoughtlessly eating anything and everything on the standard American diet and would go sit down and do #2 at least once daily, and usually more. I used to have ulcerative colitis, and sometimes would have to go 10-20 times in a day, so I really really appreciate my new normal, lol. 

Geoff nailed it on the kidneys. Since you no longer eat carboHYDRATEs, you are expelling excess water and salts. So be sure to drink as needed and salt your food to taste. And as he suggested you might want an electrolyte supplement. He drinks LMNT and I take magnesium as needed.

What type of magnesium Bob, I can't afford all of that other stuff.

Hello everyone.  I have been running, running, running trying to make ends meet. Never mind that, I hadn't posted for 2 days but I have been on track. I am just now having my first meal of the day; I ate about 9 last night and just hadn't had an appetite.
Tonight, I am having eggs, spinach, sausage patty and a polish link.  I have reached my peak; it doesn't take much for me to get satiated and I am loving it.  I feel better already, I feel some looseness around my back area. Yeah.  I have been watching a few you tube videos, and everyone has their opinion with their items for sale, for me though I am sticking with the two of you for my advice everything and everyone else is just too complicated and it's about paying for endorsements. 
Thanks a million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That sounds great Angela. I’m so proud of you. Stay with it and you’ll see some wonderful changes.

You asked Bob about magnesium supplements and just thought I’d tell you what I take.
I’ve switched from LMNT to Keto Chow’s Daily Minerals. Since my wife started following my lead and taking supplements, our supply won’t get us through the month so I needed to go a cheaper route.

I also take a magnesium complex I get off of Amazon.
1d8fe1694f87de48ae3d985d03bc8610.jpg
Then on top of all that I take a magnesium citrate to loosen up my bowels.
I hope that helps.

14 hours ago, Angela Little said:

What type of magnesium Bob, I can't afford all of that other stuff.

I researched this keenly before settling on Zentastic 4-in-1 Magnesium Complex, and I get it from Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Zentastic-Triple-Magnesium-Relaxation-Absorption/dp/B0BC84FL5C

It has Magnesium Glycinate, Magnesium Taurate, Magnesium Lactate, and Magnesium Malate. I purposely avoid Magnesium Citrate because my bowels are loose enough as it is, lol. And then I have heard from a couple of Dr. Berry's PHD coaches that Magnesium Oxide isn't very bioavailable.

9 hours ago, Bob said:

You've inspired me Geoff. I am going to go make something similar right now, lol 😄

I wasn't lying. This was my breakfast...

chaffleSandwich.jpg

And then for dinner I had a ribeye and half of the NY Strip that my wife didn't finish.

🙂

We had a Christmas Eve dinner at my daughter’s today. Knowing how dedicated I am to eating carnivore she had plenty of food that I could eat. I didn’t take any pictures but my plate was loaded down with smoked brisket (which she learned how to cook from me) baked ham that was great, several different kinds of cheeses and sausage balls made with venison sausage and powdered pork rinds instead of bisquick.
There were some deviled eggs but unfortunately they were made with Mayo that contained seed oils so that was a hard no.

8 minutes ago, Geezy said:

We had a Christmas Eve dinner at my daughter’s today. Knowing how dedicated I am to eating carnivore she had plenty of food that I could eat. I didn’t take any pictures but my plate was loaded down with smoked brisket (which she learned how to cook from me) baked ham that was great, several different kinds of cheeses and sausage balls made with venison sausage and powdered pork rinds instead of bisquick.
There were some deviled eggs but unfortunately they were made with Mayo that contained seed oils so that was a hard no.

I am going to a Christmas party tomorrow and I am afraid to fall off the wagon. I did already eat 2 cookies, but they were keto-cookies. My carbs came up to 47gr that day. I am not particularly worried about that number for a day, but rather afraid of the slippery slope. I made these cookies myself, I used all the right products, but they tasted super sweet to me regardless. If I can make it through tomorrow I'll be set. Now I am thinking of what I could bring for myself to get through, I should've bought some cheese sticks at least... 

The first day I fell off the wagon, really. But still in Keto, I do not feel carb crazed or anything, no fog, no cravings. I don't aim for perfection, but I aim for continuality. Is that a word? English is my second language, pardon me. 

I am 23 days in and very satisfied with my symptoms (auto-immune disease). I never had the keto-flu either. And I lost 4 pounds, though that is not even my goal. I feel this little bump does little to keep me from quitting the carnivore. 

I am going to a Christmas party tomorrow and I am afraid to fall off the wagon. I did already eat 2 cookies, but they were keto-cookies. My carbs came up to 47gr that day. I am not particularly worried about that number for a day, but rather afraid of the slippery slope. I made these cookies myself, I used all the right products, but they tasted super sweet to me regardless. If I can make it through tomorrow I'll be set. Now I am thinking of what I could bring for myself to get through, I should've bought some cheese sticks at least... 

The first day I fell off the wagon, really. But still in Keto, I do not feel carb crazed or anything, no fog, no cravings. I don't aim for perfection, but I aim for continuality. Is that a word? English is my second language, pardon me. 

I am 23 days in and very satisfied with my symptoms (auto-immune disease). I never had the keto-flu either. And I lost 4 pounds, though that is not even my goal. I feel this little bump does little to keep me from quitting the carnivore. 

Don’t sweat it Orweller, you’ll be fine. No if it helps you may want to eat at home before you go out and then you may be less likely to over indulge.
But hey, even if you do go off the reservation it’s no big deal. Just go back to eating right the next day. One day is certainly not going to hurt you or set you back. At worst you may experience some inflammation or gastrointestinal issues and your weight may stall for a few days but if you jump right back into carnivore you shouldn’t have any problems.
By this time next year you may be so solid in carnivore that it won’t even be an issue anymore.
Good luck.

The key is if you stumble, you just get back up and start eating on plan right away. And by right away we mean the very next meal. Don't think you can automatically cancel the whole day because you slipped off plan just this once. And don't let yourself think "I'll start fresh next week" or "I'll just make this my new years resolution" as that thinking can be detrimental. The longer you stay off plan, the more difficult it is to get back on plan and stay committed.

20 hours ago, Geezy said:

Don’t sweat it Orweller, you’ll be fine. No if it helps you may want to eat at home before you go out and then you may be less likely to over indulge.
But hey, even if you do go off the reservation it’s no big deal. Just go back to eating right the next day. One day is certainly not going to hurt you or set you back. At worst you may experience some inflammation or gastrointestinal issues and your weight may stall for a few days but if you jump right back into carnivore you shouldn’t have any problems.
By this time next year you may be so solid in carnivore that it won’t even be an issue anymore.
Good luck.

I survived, had excellent lamb meat, they made extra for me. The only sinning I did was a few spinach leaves and some onion. But All the sweets were left standing. 

I survived, had excellent lamb meat, they made extra for me. The only sinning I did was a few spinach leaves and some onion. But All the sweets were left standing. 

That’s awesome buddy. You did great.