• Welcome to our Carnivore / Ketovore / Keto Online Community!

Welcome to Carnivore Talk! An online community of people who have discovered the benefits of an animal-based ketogenic diet with the goal of losing weight, optimizing their health, and supporting and encouraging one another. We warmly welcome you! [Read More]

14 minutes ago, Angela Little said:

What is the difference between Carnivore and Keto?

From what I understand. Carnivore is a keto diet, but limited to only animal products. The keto diet focuses mainly becoming fat adapted without the concern of consuming only animal products. 

Edited by Orweller

I love the conception but it is so confusing to me.  

I don’t understand how it can be confusing.
It’s the simplest way of eating in the world.
If it comes from an animal you can eat it.
That’s meat of any kind.
Eggs.
Dairy if you can tolerate it.
Butter.
Tallow.
Lard.
Water.
Salt.
The more fat the better.
All eaten until completely satiated or full to the point you don’t want any more.
The only caveat to that would be if you are of a special physiology that your body may not tolerate a specific type of animal such as chicken or pork then you would keep those out but that’s been pretty rare in my experience.

Today I ate three different types of sausages. Breakfast sausage, German sausage and chorizo and eggs. All venison and all cooked in the fat from cooking the breakfast sausage.
263d22e9b82f3b387d1cf66356a8fac6.jpg
I ate that around noon and I’m still full seven hours later and that will sustain me for at least 24 hours.

Yesterday I ate a salmon and cheese quiche.
15015726130fc6b3a852bf3fa23680a2.jpg
So in the last two days I’ve had two meals that consisted of meat, eggs and cheese.
See, pretty simple.

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
Aristotle

From what I understand. Carnivore is a keto diet, but limited to only animal products. The keto diet focuses mainly becoming fat adapted without the concern of consuming only animal products. 

Pretty much.
Carnivore is a subset of keto.
Both focus on eating a high fat and protein diet and becoming fat adapted.
The difference being that keto allows some carbs, 20 grams or less, while carnivore, if being strict, allows only animal products, water and salt.

Aristotle

20 hours ago, Angela Little said:

What is the difference between Carnivore and Keto?

Welcome aboard @Angela Little!

Keto aims to keep your daily carbohydrate intake to 20g of carbs or less. Keto also allows for some low carb veggies, a few nuts, and a few berries, as long as the days total stays under 20g of carbs. Most of what you eat will be meat-based foods of any kind, with a particular focus on fatty ruminant meats (beef, elk, lamb, etc) or fatty fish (salmon). Some animal-based foods such as butter and cheese are also acceptable.

Carnivore takes everything to the next level, and basically attempts a zero carb approach (although eggs and some seafood does have some trace carbs in them), by eliminating the vegetables completely. You will eat any animal flesh, whether land, sea, or air.

For more information, check out these 2 articles we have here....

A Brief Overview of the Various Low Carb Diets

The Various Types of Carnivore Diets

20 hours ago, Angela Little said:

can you do a sample menu, this is my biggest problem, meal planning or mixing the right food combo

Breakfast 

• Carnivore: Omellete filled with your choice of meat, and cheese if you are allowing it. Sour cream or cream cheese if you are allowing it, but read the label and make sure there is no added sugars.
  • Keto: Same as above but add some green pepper, onion, or perhaps some salsa.

Lunch

• Carnivore: Burger patties. Bacon. Cheese if you are allowing it.
  • Keto: Same as above but add lettuce, a tomato slice, some mustard and some avocado mayonnaise.

Dinner

• Carnivore: A fatty steak like a Striploin or Ribeye. Salt. Melted butter or tallow for dipping sauce.
  • Keto: Same as above but add a small side of low carb green veggies, like brussel sprouts, asparugus, green beans, or a small side salad.

For variety, I make my eggs different each morning. Some days are omelettes, some days are over easy, some days are scrambled, etc. Also, you can rotate your meats, have eggs at dinner, swap in fatty fish or even chicken, turkey, etc. The only caveat is if you choose a lean meat, you should probably serve bacon or butter or both with it because you do want the fat content.

Hope this helps!

On 11/30/2023 at 8:35 PM, Geezy said:

There is a great variety of meats and ways to cook them that if you use your imagination you shouldn’t get bored. There are bacon’s out there that are sugar free. Fish, salmon, yellow fin tuna pan seared in butter. Any cheap cut of beef or venison slow cooked in beef broth. Tuna salad, salmon salad, chicken salad, deviled eggs, all made with carnivore friendly mayo. Rotisserie chicken from the store slathered in butter. Lamb, beef slow smoked to tender perfection or flame grilled over an open fire. No limits except in your imagination.
Stick with it long enough and you should become fat adapted and may become like me in that I generally only eat OMAD because I only eat when hungry and when I do eat it’s strictly for nutrition and not for pleasure, fuel not fun. Don’t get me wrong, I like my food to taste good but it’s just not a priority anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do you get carnivore friendly mayo?  Is there a brand name?

8 hours ago, Sherry said:

Where do you get carnivore friendly mayo?  Is there a brand name?

There is also....

• Sir Kensington's Avocado Oil Mayonnaise
  • Chosen Foods Avocado Mayonnaise
  • Chosen Foods Keto Mayonnaise (made with MCT oil)
  • Primal Kitchen Mayonnaise

You can get all these from Amazon or maybe your local stores.

On 12/4/2023 at 6:56 PM, Geezy said:

I don’t understand how it can be confusing.
It’s the simplest way of eating in the world.
If it comes from an animal you can eat it.
That’s meat of any kind.
Eggs.
Dairy if you can tolerate it.
Butter.
Tallow.
Lard.
Water.
Salt.
The more fat the better.
All eaten until completely satiated or full to the point you don’t want any more.
The only caveat to that would be if you are of a special physiology that your body may not tolerate a specific type of animal such as chicken or pork then you would keep those out but that’s been pretty rare in my experience.

Today I ate three different types of sausages. Breakfast sausage, German sausage and chorizo and eggs. All venison and all cooked in the fat from cooking the breakfast sausage.
263d22e9b82f3b387d1cf66356a8fac6.jpg
I ate that around noon and I’m still full seven hours later and that will sustain me for at least 24 hours.

Yesterday I ate a salmon and cheese quiche.
15015726130fc6b3a852bf3fa23680a2.jpg
So in the last two days I’ve had two meals that consisted of meat, eggs and cheese.
See, pretty simple.

Aristotle

Ok, so tell me what does a days menu look like for you, starting with breakfast

6 hours ago, Angela Little said:

I agree, as a starter, as strange as it sounds, it can be quite confusing because we've been taught a certain eating pattern throughout our lives. I was in Walmart looking at the meat like "ok, now where the hell do I start?". 

I did start with eggs, bacon, and mozzarella cheese sticks for support. Since they are all high in fat. 

Certainly.
It varies quite a bit since there’s so much to choose from but I’ll tell you what I’m going to eat today.

Breakfast:
1 cup of bulletproof tea.
That’s it. I don’t eat breakfast because I only eat when my body says it needs fuel. I’m never hungry when I first get up because what I ate the day before carries me over to the next afternoon.

Lunch:
I may or may not eat around this time. Once again, only if I get hungry.
So let’s say I’m hungry around noon, I’m thinking about eating some pork rind nachos. The pork rinds are clean, meaning they have no sugars, sweeteners and are only cooked in lard. I will put some clean venison chorizo over the pork rinds and some Fontina cheese. I’ll nuke it until the cheese melts and then have a little sour cream with them.
This will be on a large plate and I will fill that plate up. I will eat until I’m stuffed.

Supper:
Normally when I eat my first meal that will keep me satisfied for anywhere from 18 to 24 hours but if I do get hungry later in the day I’ll eat some clean venison German sausage and maybe 3 over easy eggs.
I am for the most part OMAD.
I rarely eat more than one meal a day.
Tomorrow my one meal may be four scrambled eggs with some venison breakfast sausage or maybe some lamb burger. Maybe I’ll smoke some lamb chops or slow cook some venison steaks in some bone broth.
In my freezer I have Beef, lamb, pork and venison. Plenty of variety but If all I had was beef,pork, chicken and eggs that would be plenty for me to choose from. I’m only limited to my imagination.
I am so fat adapted that I no longer care about eating for pleasure, although I do like my food to taste good, I eat for nutrition.
There are many carnivore recipes online that are pretty good. I made some cheesy egg muffins yesterday, while rendering down some fat into tallow, that I got online and they’re tasty. I’ll definitely be making those again for road trips and camping.

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

Certainly.
It varies quite a bit since there’s so much to choose from but I’ll tell you what I’m going to eat today.

Breakfast:
1 cup of bulletproof tea.
That’s it. I don’t eat breakfast because I only eat when my body says it needs fuel. I’m never hungry when I first get up because what I ate the day before carries me over to the next afternoon.

Lunch:
I may or may not eat around this time. Once again, only if I get hungry.
So let’s say I’m hungry around noon, I’m thinking about eating some pork rind nachos. The pork rinds are clean, meaning they have no sugars, sweeteners and are only cooked in lard. I will put some clean venison chorizo over the pork rinds and some Fontina cheese. I’ll nuke it until the cheese melts and then have a little sour cream with them.
This will be on a large plate and I will fill that plate up. I will eat until I’m stuffed.

Supper:
Normally when I eat my first meal that will keep me satisfied for anywhere from 18 to 24 hours but if I do get hungry later in the day I’ll eat some clean venison German sausage and maybe 3 over easy eggs.
I am for the most part OMAD.
I rarely eat more than one meal a day.
Tomorrow my one meal may be four scrambled eggs with some venison breakfast sausage or maybe some lamb burger. Maybe I’ll smoke some lamb chops or slow cook some venison steaks in some bone broth.
In my freezer I have Beef, lamb, pork and venison. Plenty of variety but If all I had was beef,pork, chicken and eggs that would be plenty for me to choose from. I’m only limited to my imagination.
I am so fat adapted that I no longer care about eating for pleasure, although I do like my food to taste good, I eat for nutrition.
There are many carnivore recipes online that are pretty good. I made some cheesy egg muffins yesterday, while rendering down some fat into tallow, that I got online and they’re tasty. I’ll definitely be making those again for road trips and camping.

Sounds good, question,do you drink the tallow?

3 minutes ago, Angela Little said:

Sounds good, question,do you drink the tallow?

I licked my plate the other day, lol. Does that count? 😄

I have some grass-fed beef burger that I get from Sam's Club that's 85/15. I will add a little tallow or butter to this because this is leaner than I like. Sometimes I pick up some 73/27 from Meijer. This doesn't need any extra tallow or butter and will produce a lot of liquid fat on it's own. My 73/27 may end up in a bowl rather than a plate and I will eat it like soup, but I don't go out of my way to drink all the fat/tallow.

Although, sometimes I toss in a couple eggs and scramble them together with the beef. The eggs will soak up most of the fat, and it's very tasty. I use some salt and some seasonings too.